Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everybody!

I got to day Winston 13´ line 8 rod. Its dark green and 4-peace.
What I know it´s one of a kind in Finland, because I have never seen one and we don´t have dealer here. Well anyway does anybody of You have any information on that rod? You like it or not? Why? What lines do You like whit this rod and so on...
Thank´s !

·
Registered
141 Posts
Winston rods

If you go through the archives, you ll find that most of the members here do not fish Winston rods, or they don't talk about it. Prior to the 15' Derek Browns, there were only a few discussions about them. You can probably get the the information you need by going directly to Winston at www.winstonrods.com. There should be an email address where you can ask their staff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Sir!
Why´s that? Winston should be one of the best rods like Scott, Sage, T&T and so on? I thought that lot´s of US anglers would use these rods? Maybe I was wrong....I have fwe diffrent Sage rods and G.Loomis rods but this Winston baby is very soft and real Spey rod, very close to Sage spey model. Only problem whit Winstons are their price, specially here in Finland, if you even can find one! They ask 1000 euros for any rod that has name Winston...:( , thats like 1000$.
Well its just money, who cares ;)

Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Winston rods

I agree that Winston rods are top of the line. I have some single handers that I think the world of. I also demo-ed their older 15 foot 10 wt and 14 foot 9 wt. I was especially impressed with the 10 weight, which is more traditional, and less impressed with the 9 wt which was described as "European". Since I like traditional rods, and don't need anything as heavy as a 10 weight, I bought elsewhere.
Perhaps others had the same impression. Also Winston is an "East Coast " company, and much of the discussion on this site is "Western". The opportunites to spey cast on the East Coast are limited. In any case, you will not find much discussion about the pre-Derek Browns on this site.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Nevada
Winston is East Coast?? I think not. It's never been further East than Twin Bridges, MT. Company was formed in 1929 in San Francisco and resided there for nearly 50 years (until 1976) when Tom Morgan moved it to Montana.

·
Registered
134 Posts
>
> Also Winston is an "East Coast " company, and much of the
> discussion on this site is "Western".

T&T is an "East Coast" company, tho I don't think that means much here.

>
> The opportunites to spey cast on the East Coast are limited.

Why ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
>
> Also Winston is an "East Coast " company, and much of the
> discussion on this site is "Western".

T&T is an "East Coast" company, tho I don't think that means much here.

>
> The opportunites to spey cast on the East Coast are limited.

Why ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can see the "funny" point coming up! I think You can spey cast in the sea as well, dont You guys?
Where are the best rods made (carbon)? East coast or West coast, just kidding!?
:)

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Having lived on both coasts I'd have to agree that the opportunities to cast a spey rod are limited on the east coast. At least in a meaningful way, other than practice.

Here's why:

- first of all, half the year is lost to frozen conditions

- second: there are less spey fishing, salmon / steelhead rivers. If you count the last stand in the US - Maine's Penobscot, then well that's one river verses hundreds, maybe thousands in the pacific drainages.

- if you count the great lakes in the east coast (technically the midwest and not the east coast) then you up the ante considerably, but are still prone to both frozen winters and a limited summer run imported from Skamania County in Washington

- it's possible to spey cast for stripers, but not very practical except where the conditions allow. two-handed overhand rods, much different than spey rods IMHO, are very practical but then again people aren't spey casting them so the argument is moot

I would have to conclude that indeed the opportunities to spey cast, at least in a meaningful way, are much more limited on the atlantic seaboard / drainage rivers by a l-o-n-g shot.

But that won't keep me from spey casting regularly to keep my edge between dream trips to native steelhead country, any pond, puddle or ditch will do!

·
Registered
141 Posts
boy, did I blow it!

I have to admit that I was thinking of T&T when I wrote that Winston was a East Coast company. However, the reason I got confused is that I reallydidn't know where they were located until I got corrected. Touchee!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Winston Spey

Finnfly said:
Hello Sir!
Why´s that? Winston should be one of the best rods like Scott, Sage, T&T and so on? I thought that lot´s of US anglers would use these rods? Maybe I was wrong....I have fwe diffrent Sage rods and G.Loomis rods but this Winston baby is very soft and real Spey rod, very close to Sage spey model. Only problem whit Winstons are their price, specially here in Finland, if you even can find one! They ask 1000 euros for any rod that has name Winston...:( , thats like 1000$.
Well its just money, who cares ;)

Thanks anyway!
I just recently bought the 12' 6/7
weight LT..I put on the reel the sci angler steelhead taper....One
word AWESOME....I just wish the Derek Browns were not so heavy.I did cast the Ibis 10' 7 wt a buddy of mine bought one.The Rod switch casted nice and single speyed well...Maybe the 14'
they are making now will be awesome..

SteelieChaser

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello steeliechaser!

I bet that Your rod is very nice :)
Lot´s of You people are talking about Derek Browns, what´s that, I may look stubid now :) Is that model?

I have noticed that You guys use alot singlehand "speyrods", we use those in lakes. I have many singlehand rods but I have two what I like the most: Orvis T3 905-4 tip.flex 9.5 and Sage SPL 906-2 , I use bouth rods in sea and in smaller rivers for grayling and brownies. I just change in shooting heads when going in the sea.

Orvis T3 works like a dream, but the problem was that I had to put Rio Windcutter #7 in my 5 line rod!:confused:
Well now it works nicely, specially when doing spey, You can cast taht hole WC out!

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Derek Brown Favorites

The Winston Derek Brown Favorite series rods are all 15 ft 5 piece rods, very heavy and very expensive. They were designed, with the help of Derek Brown, for traditional Spey casting. They are capable of casting a lot of line but some find the weight of the rods objectionable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tanks JD Jones!

So it was rod series, so it´s like "old school" series, kind of.

:smokin:
Very expensive, How expencive? You know that when Im buying for example G.Loomis GLX 15´ in Finlad I´ll have to put 1300€ on desk before the rod is mine:eek:
1 euro is round 1,09 USD

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
The Derek Brown Favorite Winton Spey rods are $895.00 USD each and come in 7/8, 8/9, 9/10, and 10/11 line wt configurations.

Regards,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts