Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

For any of you that knew Herb, he recently passed away; there will be a floatilla of anyone who wants to come in a spreading of some of his ashes on the PM in Michigan. Even if you didn't know Herb or are new to the area, I assure you the crowd, mood, and fellowship will turn into a pretty special day for sure.Check the www.fishbaldwin.com web site forums for updates of this event as it takes shape. Steve Fraley is setting up the details.

Herb was so cool and very easy to like. A lot of us midwestern folks probably didnt realize he had quite a bit of experience out west, being a fore-runner in the spey casting sensation before it was en vouge.......knew many of the PNW legends but never really boasted about it or anything. For those who like to trace back the evolution of this sport, he is one of those guys that I put into this category. I wonder if Dec and Harry L and Mike K and those guys knew Herb? Would be interesting to see the connections.

Deadly spey caster, hunted fish like a heron, and had just a great way about him. Herb taught me my basic drift-boat rowing skills to me when I was just getting on the sticks. Patience of a saint........(nuff said!!).....lol

Thanks, Herb.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It’s always sad to here about such a lost, may you RIP Herb.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sorry to hear this.
I fished with Herb on the Hoh river back in 1997.
He had the first spey rod I had seen and let me try it. I think it was a Sage 15' Prototype.
He will be missed.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
The first time I saw his name was in Doug Rose's (tough loss there) Color Of Winter when he talked about some of the regions top guides. Later I asked Herb if that was him and he, without any fan fare, acknowledged it was. He guided one of my closest fishing friends into his first swung fly hook-up of a Michigan Steelbow.. on his own old tried and true standby pattern. He liked the fact that the fish were not regionally critical. I still have some of those in my box that were copied. Never knew about the base ball talent.

I always wondered where he'd gone once he dropped off the map from guiding the Pere Marquette. A well traveled guy that was at home with moving waters.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I was fortunate to have met and talked to Herb numerous times when I'd run into him at Manual's Quality Fly Fishing Shop (which no longer exists since Manual retired years ago) during the time I lived in Port Angeles from 1991-1994 when he was guiding the Olympic Peninsula Rivers. He was a great guy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts