Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm on the middle Gaula in Trondelag, Norway in July. I've got a pretty good handle on the flies I'll need (& production is under way!), I was just wondering of anyone has been there and wanted to recommend any particular favourites in terms of pattern, style etc - different viewpoints are always interesting in this regard.

Many thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Gaula

Flies:
Sunray Shadow tube
Garry Gold tube with flash in case of rainfloods
Mikael Frødins Phatakorva tube
Tunder and Lightning, Green Highlander, something black
Ken Sawada tube flies

The last summers have been excellent for fishing with good water conditions. In July last year we had a couple of real floods, so you should be prepared and bring everything from fast sinking to floating lines.

I drove down the Gaula valley the day before yesterday. Discharge around 200 m3/s and the river looked great. If you want to check on the flow development have a look at the Gaulfoss discharge station online:

http://www2.nve.no/h/hd/plotreal/VF/0122.00009.000/index.html

We have had a unusually warm spring, and fish have already been seen several places in Gaula. When the season opens on the 1st of June you can follow the developments on www.gaula.no.

Best Regards

Knut

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Excellent information, thanks! I hope to visit someday...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou very much for taking the trouble to reply, much appreciated. I'll integrate your suggestions into my fly-tying for the trip.

Best regards

·
Registered
121 Posts
Gaula

Hey, I'm also on the Gaula in mid-july, just around Storen. I'm hoping for a repeat of last year.....Great fishing!!
As Knut said, take everything you can. Last year I had Salmon on wet-cel II, intermediate, sink-tips. Flies ranged from 1.5" copper tubes (templedogs) to size 6's in the patterns listed above.
Best taking times (for me anyway) was from 10pm to 2am.

Don't be put off with the thought of too much water either. I caught a nice 12lb salmon during a rising (large) spate.

I'm counting the days!!!

Tight lines....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Storlaks. Knut's recommendations (above) had already formed the basis of the pattern's I was tying up for the trip - the time consuming thing is getting a wide range of sizes to cover all eventualities - typical for any 'destination' trip really. I'm now getting everything pretty sorted so, like yourself, am looking forward to the trip.

Best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts