Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been through a few rods, and find myself looking for something different. I have been seeing alot of talk about the Meisers, and thinking of taking the plunge. Just need to see which model I would get. Below is all the info I can give.

I live east of Seattle (Bellevue), and fish mainly the Snoqualmie, Skykomish, and Snohomish Rivers. I'm looking for a 13' Winter rod. I throw skagits, but am thinking of going to a 40-45' line that can throw some sink tips.(less striping on cold mornings). I would like to stick to a 7wt.

Here are the rods I have had/casted and what I liked/disliked:

Echo DH 71330 - Easy to cast, my first and favorite casting. It did flex to the cork, and made me wonder on 20# + fish.

St. Croix Avid 15' 10/11 - My 2nd favorite casting, It was just too big and heavy for the fishing I do.

St. Croix Ultra U12667 - Too fast, I could not cast it well. Not my cup of tea.

Amundson WW 1268 - I like casting this rod. It would be great if it was 6" longer and had a longer bottom grip. It seemed to lack power.

Sage VXP 7133 - I really like casting this rod. It really comes in close to second. But I found it heavy and tip heavy to boot. I casted it a few times, and felt it would wear me out more than a 7wt should.

I casted a new Winston (boron III?) 7wt last weekend. I liked the weight, it casted nice, but felt a little stiff to me.

I also tried an Echo DH2 6wt. I didn't like it much, but they had it over lined a bit, 510gr on a 6wt. It felt sluggish.

I left the switches out, as the are a different ball game to me. But any reco's from my ramblings? LOL

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
766 Posts
a'mech,

Get it from the horses mouth. Bob Meiser is one of the most knowledgeable and nicest guys in the business. And he has a great ability to steer you to the rod you want/need. A phone call to Bob is a super investment.

My son and I have several of Bob's rods and they all perform beyond their job descriptions.

Enjoy The Spey Journey,
sixheads

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
All of Bob's rods are 'tickle pink' when it comes to design/build.

Bob designs a build, lots of folks get to test drive and the design is 'tweeked' for 'this and that.' And that goes on over time even as the rods are sent out and the 'Bobster' gets feed back. I have the original 'FES' are the present generation a heck of a lot better. Probably; But a 'do I care?' Weeelll yes and no; first rod I ever emptied all 120' of line in the air. Then I handed the rod to Steve Choate and all of us got a casting lesson from THE ORIGINAL MASTER CASTER! All the line (Delta 8/9 if memory serves) off the reel and drag to zero. Line gone as was many feet of 30# backing.

Only (just a me thing) is they are multi-lined numbered. I like a 'one numbered rod that's true to the number. But 'multi' gives you a heck of a grain range/tips for consideration given the 'where, for what, fishing conditions.'

For that, have Steve Godshall (he's a few feet away from Bob's build bench) and get a separate shooting line (loop to loop connections) and 'heads' for the rod. You won't pay a penny more for the lines but each is a 'one off' for you and fishing situation(s).

fae

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Just give Bob a call, or drop him an email and tell him exactly what you like and don't like in a rod's action, size of river you're going to use it mostly on, whether summer or winter steelhead, and belly length line you like to cast. Bob will take what you tell him and produce a rod for you that will feel like extension of your arm. Calling is quicker and easier than email because of the back-and-forth nature of a phone call.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
What the others said, talk to the master himself.

Couple of other points. The website itself is great, highly informative about the rods and different options. But there is constant innovation going on up there, not everything is on the web site. About seven months ago there was a thread with a long list of new models being shown at the Sandy clave, search should turn it up.

He also has quite a stable of unique offerings that cover almost every conceivable fishing condition and preference. Everybody who makes a spey rod offers a 13' 7wt (or thereabouts), but, how many 14' 5-wts are out there? And let me tell you, one of these, on the right river, with the right fish, is a real hoot.

Having said that, 13' winter rod, skagit heads and short belly speys with tips, I reach for my 7/8 MKS.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I will call the shop and talk to Bob about which rod to get. But I'm looking at the 13' Classic 6/7/8 or the MKS 7/8.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have the Highlander Classic 15' 6/8, MKS 13'6" 7/8 and Burkie 7134. All are nice rods. Depends on what you like and your application. The closest thing to the 7134 would be the Classic taper. MKS taper is nothing comparable (regressive vs. progressive).

Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Buying a rod from Bob is not like buying from any one else. Bob will talk to you and ask specific questions then will build you the rod he thinks will work best for you. You may wind up ordering a different rod than the one you are thinking about when you make the call. Trust Bob he will not steer you wrong.

·
River Rat
310 Posts
Call Bob.

That is really all anyone needs to say. The experience you have during the call will be shaped to the very info you have provided. Lucky for me, Bob knows my home waters, and did a great job talking me through what I originally wanted, and what he recommended and why. The conversation was as technical as I wanted, and I took notes. I learned a lot throughout the process.

again, call Bob.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Not to sound like a broken record...
Call Bob. My phone call was just as pleasant and educational as others have described.
JB

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,130 Posts
7/8 mks

This is a sweet, light-in-the-hand rod that has quickly become my favorite. Not that I have many, but it's the one that's going with me this morning!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Yeah, what they said. Call Bob. He's such a good guy, it's worth the call just to say hi. That he's a wizard at divining what will work for you is just a huge bonus.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I talked to Bob. He is recommending a Highlander Classic Series 13' 6/7/8. Also looking at Steve making me a "Power Scandi" line. Essentially a short belly spey matched to the rod. Just sent him my info. I'm pretty stoked right now! :):smokin:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Excellent choices all around.

So I talked to Bob. He is recommending a Highlander Classic Series 13' 6/7/8. Also looking at Steve making me a "Power Scandi" line. Essentially a short belly spey matched to the rod. Just sent him my info. I'm pretty stoked right now! :):smokin:
Steve will know this rod inside out and to build a proper line; all he has to factor in is ... well, you and your casting style, etc. As far as coordination between the two ... not an issue. Their work space is less than 10 feet apart.
;)

·
Banned
879 Posts
My first step in this 2-hand journey started with a brief but informative phone call to the Meizstro.
He took the time and had the patience to separate the wheat from the chaff and explained in a way that even a greenhorn could understand.
You can't go wrong with this guy or his linear compadre...enjoy

·
Hacker
589 Posts
I agree with everything said about Bob. Bought my first two-hander from him; made the call and we talked for a long time with me answering questions. Great guy. Kerry and the crew at Burkheimer do the same thing, and both make magnificent rods and offer great service.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Line info for 13' 6/7/8 Highlander

Hello Aviomec, Bob also suggested the 13' 6/7/8 Highlander Classic for me and I built the stick from one of his builder's kits. It's a great rod. Because the tip flexes first, it is easy to form a very shallow D loop and simply kick it out with the tip when you have your back against the bushes. That's not as easy to do with other tapers. It's hallmark is mid to longer line dry line work, but it's also a great Skagit rod. I have one of Steve Godshell's Scandit lines, but also use a Rage 480, a compact Skagit 510, a Scandi 450 and an intermediate Scandit head Steve built. The intermediate I like very much, but I find myself fishing later and later in the year and do much of my casting with the 510 Airflow Compact Skagit, which I personally find loads easier and casts more smoothly than the Skandit line with the first head off to use as a Skagit. My two cents but I do strongly recommend the Rage 480 for use with 10' floating and sinking polyleaders, and the 510 compact Skagit with regular sinking tips. One tip that casts like aq dream with the Skagit head and medium sized flies is the Airflow SINK7 14' tip 8/9 at 97 grains. Anyone else with suggestions for this rod?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts