Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a Loomis 13"4 Metolius streamdance 5/6 on Wednesday (the Meiser I was trying to get got sold out from under me). Since my cash was tapped I was stuck trying to get something I already had to work for a line. So I took an old 7/8/9 w/tips I had and cut 7' out of the back end of the middle section. What I was left with is a 47.5' line that comes out at about 430 grains. It sure casts nice for a quick fix; no trouble shooting 30' of line into a breeze with a piece of yarn on the leader, especially if I keep about 2 feet in the belly in the tip-top before I shoot it. It's especially nice for the single spey. The rod has a pleasant, moderate action with that line but definitely doesn't like to be "pushed". I plan on making up a line by RiverAddicts formula, but for a quick fix I think what I did does the trick and thought it might be a useful piece of information for somebody else out there.

·
Registered
293 Posts
re: loomis 13 4

Wow - you must really be loading that rod up. I use the WC 5/6 (320gr i think) and feel like it's a good match. Wonder what the rod would feel like if you cut off a bit more for a skajit setup.

Are you trout fishing with it? It really works well for big trout water. Lately ive been Indicator/Nymph fishing with it. (then i get bored and swing streamers).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jpeter,

You know that rod feels like it can really take the 430 grains no problem. It doesn't feel floppy at all, just nice medium action flexing deep into the butt. I will say I am backing off the rod a ton; I barely hit it at all, it's incredibly nice to put as little effort in it as possible. I've heard the grain window is 350-520 grains and I believe it, as long as you stay mellow with the rod. I do plan on trying a 5/6 for it I'm sure that would be a great line but just the same I wouldn't have any qualms about trying a Skagit with 490 grains like RiverAddict recommends. By the way a 5/6 wc is 365 grains, so the setup I'm using now is only about 65 more grains, or 17% heavier.

I've landed a couple 5-pound trout on the rod already and it handled them with ease. To me it feels like I could take on a 10-12 pound steelhead without any worries at all. Even though the tip is really soft there is enough backbone if you keep a shallow bend in the rod when fighting bigger fish.

Right now I'm fishing an indi with it for trout, golden stones and big midges in deep water (8-14 feet) is the "name of the game" on the Truckee in the winter. The Truckee is real "big water" trout fishing, with a powerful current big boulders and kick-butt wild freestone trout. A 5-lb rainbow is a real adventure and there are trout approaching 30 inches and 10 lbs in there, so you definitely are best served with heavier trout gear. In years past I've fished a 10' 6-wt GLX or 9' 5-wt XP for this job and usually even after a short day of fishing (4 hours or so) my arms and shoulder are toasted, esp. with the 5-wt. With this new rod I don't struggle at all, at the end of the day I feel pretty fresh.

What I really bought the rod for though is swinging soft-hackles in the summer on the Truckee (a bird's nest will catch fish all day) also steelhead on the Trinity in the fall. Swinging soft-hackles for trout is about as close as you can get to steelhead fishing around here where I live. It's so much fun on a floating line and an unweighted fly, the grab feels so much like a steelhead grab it is such a blast. I can't wait for "caddis time" next summer this rod is going to get a workout!

·
Registered
731 Posts
The suggested Skagit combo is to cut back a Rio 450 back untill the entire line + tips is 490-510 grains I deviated from the suggested line combo in that I did not cut the 450 back. I just looped the tips on to the factory loop. The suggested grain window is to two fast for my style. The lines that I use on this rod are a SA short head 7 wt and the Rio 450 skagit paired with 10wt tips. This combo works really well for me. The Skagit can shoot 2-2.5 rod lengths is very easy. Both lines load the rod deeply but do not over load the rod at all.
Mike

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I have a home-made 450 skagit line I am going to take it down to the river right now and try it with an 80 grain sink tip and see how it casts. I'll post back in a couple hours.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The first attempt with the full 450 was with 8wt tips (109 Grains) It cast really well and I had plenty of rod left. So, on a recomendation from SSpey, I tried the 10 wt tips (150 grains) and it cast even better. I would recomend trying the 10 wt tips. The rod can handle it.
Mike

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for your recommendation, I probably wouldn't have tried that line for fear of it being too heavy. I threw it today and it was great. The "Skagit" part of the line is 28' from and Orvis Type III 10-wt long-belly line that I cut the back end out of and looped. It weighs almost exactly 450 gr. Today, on your recommendation, I was throwing a 120 gr. type III head on it, 570 grains total. River left with perry poke and snap t it was real nice. As long as I didn't hit it hard, just take some time and let the rod do the work, it was really enjoyable. I was shooting over two rod lengths of shooting line effortlessly with nice tight loops, all the distance I'll ever need. I know it's what I'll use swinging for smaller steelhead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts