Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We spent five days on the lower river.
The fishing was slow, many people not finding fish. I went 3 for 5 and my buddy went 1 for 3. I feel lucky we were able to find those fish and four of them came out of what must have been a pod of fish moving through a couple of runs.

The river was as empty as I've ever seen it. There are still some decent campsites available but nearly all have had the brush burned out from under the trees. The ash has stabilized for the most part and normal breezes were not stirring up dirt and debris much as the ground has been pretty well scoured over time. HOWEVER, if you were there and a major wind event came through it would suck for sure.

Finding shelter from the wind was tough and there were many campsites I would not have wanted to set up in mainly from fear of the wind blowing sand and dirt into our tents which can act like a sieve with fine debris filtering through the mesh.

Camping is certainly doable but if the river were busy you could get pushed into some spots you really wouldn't want to be in due to the lack of shade and shelter from the wind.

If anyone wants more details feel free to pm me.

·
Registered
Meiser rods with Saracione and Bauer reels
299 Posts
Thanks for the report. I fished up by Mack’s canyon last week and had a good time. I’m thinking about hiking in the lower end next week. Probably be two days of fishing and a lot of hiking in and out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts