Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Hello!

"Trunking" is when a caster pushes the bottom hand away (outwards and upwards) from the torso during the backcast, causing the rod tip to dip too low, which tends to anchor too much line on the water.

"DoubleL": do you mean "Bloody L"?

·
A guy who loves to fish
67 Posts
Terms

You must mean the "bloody L" but just in case... DoubleL is the moniker of a recent convert to the two hand rod who is still a rank amateur found lurking on Speypages and gleaming as much information as possible so as to shorten his learning curve. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Absolute newbie

Now I am the ultimate newbie I haven't even been out yet as my rod is being built in another couple of days!!

The question I have is what is
River right
and
River Left.

How do you determine the sides? are you looking up river or down? Or am I way off base?

Richard

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
River right: when you stand on the bank facing across-stream, and the river is flowing from above your left side down past your right. It's just a way of identifying current direction; nothing to do with which way you face or which direction/angle you cast while fishing.

J

·
0 Posts
While your answer is correct it seems more confusing than necessary. The terms are derived from navigation. When in a canoe or most any other rivercraft the right bank is the one to your right as your navigate downstream. Since in almost any craft one is facing downstream when navigating, this system of visualization is foolproof.

·
Registered
127 Posts
River runners, whitewater rafters and kayakers always refer to river right and river left from a downriver perspective. If you were suposed to camp at Spey Bar and asked a kayaker where it was located, he would reply " two miles ahead, river right". If you flaged down a jet boater coming upriver, even though he was facing upstream, his reply would be the same. The system works great, never ever any confusion.

link

1 - 8 of 8 Posts