Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in any feedback on the CND 14' 3" Solstice 7/8, which I am considering as a summer fish rod. I currently am using a St Croix 14' 9/10 (with Rio Mid Spey 8/9) and was also wondering how the two rods compared.

Any feedback on any of the following questions would also be much appreciated:

- I am thinking of pairing the rod with a Rio Mid Spey 7/8; is this the right match for the rod?
- What type of action does the rod have?
- How much more feel for the fish would I get versus my St Croix?

Thanks

Barney

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Howdy Barney...

Any feedback on any of the following questions would also be much appreciated:

- I am thinking of pairing the rod with a Rio Mid Spey 7/8; is this the right match for the rod?
The 7/8 MidSpey is a great choice for the rod.

- What type of action does the rod have?
I call the action traditional, with the IMG8 graphite dampening very fast. To me the action is crisp.

- How much more feel for the fish would I get versus my St Croix?
A lot. I believe you will really like the 14'3" Solstice rod. It is a sweety.
Note: Yes I do sell them and I am quite biased, however Barney knows I won't "BS" him and with the test drive plan he can't go wrong. :)

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I have experience with both rods; I've owned them both. These are very different rods and if you are looking for a winter/summer pair I think they could complement each other nicely.

The Solstice 14'3" and the midspey 7/8 match very well, as do the 7/8/9 Windcutter (with or without tips), 7/8 SA, 7/8 Delta Airflo, etc. I used to fish a 9/10 or 9/10/11 on the 14' 9wt St.Croix so between the two you will have a nice broad range of coverage from 7/8 through 9/10.

The Solstice action is fast without being stiff and super-lightweight. It gives the caster a traditional feel but is certainly not your grandpa's summer spey rod; the reserve power and dampening are surprisingly tight due to modern materials and taper design. The carbon is tough, light and durable and there is no lack of power in the blank. With practice you should be able to spey cast over 100' even in the 7/8wt line class, with more practice and the albright should be in the guides. There are many good summer rods on the market (e.g. Bob Meisers' works of art) so shop around and see what fits your style and budget.

My St.Croix was a versatile rod and worked well for a range of casting styles. I used a variety of lines from traditional double taper to short sinktip heads, underhand to overhand and caught some very nice fish on that rod. In my opinion this would make a great summer / winter pair as I feel the 14' 9wt is a great winter rod.

·
Registered
83 Posts
14 ft 3 7/8/9 solstice

i have this rod i casted it today on the lake by my house where i usually practice at. this rod is a pleasure to cast all day due to its light weight. dont let the light weight fool you this rod is powerful. i use a 7/8 sa short head on it and i hit a few casts of 100 ft or more. it is very easy to hit casts of 85 to 90 ft with ease all day with this rod. this rod is very good as well with sink tips . give mike at red shed a call he is a great guy and he may have one in stock for you to demo! :D

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
I'll second that Scott about Mike, but don't start him talking about the BIG rigs!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey? I heard that. 10-4 good buddy! :whoa:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the information

Thanks for all the information guys and especially the warning about MJC, Ha Ha. To be fair, MJC was fabulous about sending down rods to check out for my last rod purchase and never mentioned big rigs.

MJC, I will call you in due course, let me know if a nearly new 14' 3" Solstice comes up.

Many thanks all

Barney

1 - 7 of 7 Posts