Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the fly tying board in Fly Tlak, but got no responses. Let me try it here :Some of the plastic tube material I am using for tube dries is almost clear. Some is slightly whitish opaque. Some is black. If you are tying on tubes in the colors of a popsicle, would you avoid anything but clear tubes for the lighter weight tubes? Specifically, is anybody successfully taking fish using the "brake line /fuel line" opaque colored tubing for dry line, popsicle type marabou flies? thanks. I do not personally think white'opaque vs. clear makes a difference , but would welcome your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Even

the black tubing works for popsicle flies.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ted, and thanks Juro for the excellent response over on the tying thread. Curious as to what you folks consider protocol here for a pure fishing question as opposed to a casting/rod/line/ question. I have been following this board(and predecesor) for some years, and wonder where a pure steelhead fishing question should be posted to meet board politics and also get a good viewing/response? (Believe me, I understand fully, it all depends on where you fish, time of year, etc and NO ONE wants to discuss on the internet their own rivers with details.)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Actually

Bee there are a couple of tying oriented sections on the Board, one associated with the Salmon and Steelhead section (Archives of Salmon & Steelhead Flies), one with ocean salmon fishing and one with warmwater.

I have seen a lot of information given out by members on the Board and even more on a personal level. They are great folks here!

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Hi Bee--sorry I missed this one!

I fish tubes exclusively for steelhead. Most of my tubes are made from the black air brake hosing (aka spaghetti line) Ted mentions. The only time I use anything other than black is when black is not available. To change the color of the tubing I simply dub it just as I would a hook shank. I've no doubt that the same would hold true for white or clear tubing.

I haven't found color or lack of color of tubing to make any difference. I think about it this way: most hooks that we use for steelhead are black; spaghetti line is black too. I tie GPs, prawns, popsicles, dry flies, you name it, with this tubing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
what is a popsicle tube fly

what is the dressing for a popsicle tube fly,I have never seen one of them over here in the uk. as for tube fly tubing we usually use clear with sometimes just winging material or colour the body with floss silk ,tinsel or coloured sellotape or gift wrap or even foil wrapping from candy bars if it is the right colour

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The true popsicle pattern fly(originated by a fellow named Cook) has a blue or purple collar of marabou or schalpen, and the body is orange marabou and pink marabou ..sometimes few long strands of tinsel (like flashabou) in silver or blue is added. Popsicle has become sort of a generic reference to a number of varities of (2-3 inch long)marabou body flies that are favorite patterns for some steelhead rivers in the NW and Canada. The tubes are left 1 to 2 inches long on some of these flies...while I have caught fish on the clear to slightly opaque colored tubes, the origimnal inquiry on this thread is to ponderwhether it would be more effective on the fish if the tubes were colored or were some specific color...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.