Spey Pages banner

Questions about single handed speay casting

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  spey machine 
Single Handed Spey Lines

Etacata said:
Hi, I have been swinging a 2 ahnder for a few years now and want to try using spey casts with a single handed rod. What is the best type of line to use for a floater and any suggestions on a multi tip system to use also. I fish for all types of fish from trout to steelhead and think being abel to use spey casting with a 1 hander could come in handy and be fun. I plan to use an orvis 8wt 9' rod.:)

thank you,

chris:razz:
Hi, I have been using SH rods to spey for years now & used DT lines until SA made there new nymph line a few years back.The SA nymph line is a long belly line somewhat like a XLT spey.SA even lists it for SH casting.RIO also lists the Steelhead & Atlantic Salmon line as a SH spey line.That would lead one to believe that a SA steelhead line would also work as the tapers are close.One thing I seem to have read somewere was that speybro though that a RIO outbound would make a good SH line. Think one would have to shoot the OB because of the short head though.

SA nymph

speyforsteel said:
The SA Nymph line is as good as a single hand line can get,the RIO versi-tip and steelhead taper are great also.A SA nymph #8 is sweet on the 12'2 CND trout spey and the G.Loomis 5/6 13'4 metolius,I think it's has a 60 plus foot belly.
That XLT like taper makes the nymph line perfect for SH casts.I need to get me a #8 (469gr@70') for the Sage 5120.The #6 I tried is to lite,though the hole head can be out of the guides to cast.SA head lengths are from 65.5-67.5,as you said.

Line swap

fredaevans said:
Craig .. want one? I've got the 8wt and I want to replace it with another line. As noted above, this is one line that I just can't get my casting around. I suspect what I need is a shorter front head/tapper for my casting stroke. PM me with you address and I'll send you mine. The line is quite new so it's in good condition.

What I want to try is the Salmon/steelhead taper line that's so darned popular with our local 1-hander folks here on the upper Rogue.
Fred
Fred thanks again for the nymph taper,it will soon be tried on the 5120.Hope the steelhead taper is ticket for your needs.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.