Spey Pages banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been swinging a 2 ahnder for a few years now and want to try using spey casts with a single handed rod. What is the best type of line to use for a floater and any suggestions on a multi tip system to use also. I fish for all types of fish from trout to steelhead and think being abel to use spey casting with a 1 hander could come in handy and be fun. I plan to use an orvis 8wt 9' rod.:)

thank you,

chris:razz:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,

Best information I have seen is in Simon Gawesworths book. The chapter on single handed spey casting is fantastic.

Simon drops in here sometimes as Speybro.

Might be worth doing a search see if he has posted anything on the subject.

Sam

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Etacata said:
Hi, I have been swinging a 2 ahnder for a few years now and want to try using spey casts with a single handed rod. What is the best type of line to use for a floater and any suggestions on a multi tip system to use also. I fish for all types of fish from trout to steelhead and think being abel to use spey casting with a 1 hander could come in handy and be fun. I plan to use an orvis 8wt 9' rod.:)

thank you,

As a start, you can use whatever you currently use on your single handed rod. Most of us use single spey casting when we have to, not as our default single handed casting, so while you might want a heavier line if that's all you were doing, normally it wouldn't be all you're doing. for multi tip lines I use a versitip, because I worked for a rio dealer, so that's what I could get. I haven't kept up with single hand multi tip line development.

Just have fun and don't sweat the gear.

·
Laird of Locharber
90 Posts
Single Handed Spey Lines

Etacata said:

thank you,

Hi, I have been using SH rods to spey for years now & used DT lines until SA made there new nymph line a few years back.The SA nymph line is a long belly line somewhat like a XLT spey.SA even lists it for SH casting.RIO also lists the Steelhead & Atlantic Salmon line as a SH spey line.That would lead one to believe that a SA steelhead line would also work as the tapers are close.One thing I seem to have read somewere was that speybro though that a RIO outbound would make a good SH line. Think one would have to shoot the OB because of the short head though.

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
SA nymph

The SA Nymph line is as good as a single hand line can get,the RIO versi-tip and steelhead taper are great also.A SA nymph #8 is sweet on the 12'2 CND trout spey and the G.Loomis 5/6 13'4 metolius,I think it's has a 60 plus foot belly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've found that over-lining my Sage 10' 8wt. with a 9wt. Rio Versi Tip makes for a great one hand spey combo that I've used to cast everything from dry flies to heavier intruder style flies. My advice, don't be afraid to push the line wt. designations of your rod. Also, consider a 10 footer if you're not locked in to the Orvis 9 footer.

daniel

·
Registered
267 Posts
SPey Casting

I have found that using the RIO Clouser line works extremely well for spey casting with a single handed rod. I have also used the Steelhead taper line and the Grand. All of them will work but that Clouser line just seems to work a little better than anything else that I have tried. But what do I know, I am still trying to become a skagit Jedi....:confused: :roll: :Eyecrazy:

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
ChromeFever said:
But what do I know, I am still trying to become a skagit Jedi....:confused: :roll: :Eyecrazy:
Hmmmmmm... There is no try... Do... or do not :D

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Single hand rod 'spey cast' probably more than I do 'regular casts' with a one hander. Does help to up-line by one so you can 'tip cast' with a few more grains out site the tip-top. As noted above a DT line works very well for this type of activity - also very helpful when mending your line.

Only line (contrary to commentary above) that still has me scratching my head is the SA Nymphing line. The why of it escapes me, but wish I'd saved my money.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hmmmmmm... There is no try... Do... or do not

One must put in the time and learn the art of Skagit casting. I still need more time learning what I am doing before I can be considered a skagit casting Jedi Master? I could talk all the smack and BS that I want but when it comes right down to it. I still need a little more work on my skills....... :hihi:

·
Laird of Locharber
90 Posts
SA nymph

speyforsteel said:
The SA Nymph line is as good as a single hand line can get,the RIO versi-tip and steelhead taper are great also.A SA nymph #8 is sweet on the 12'2 CND trout spey and the G.Loomis 5/6 13'4 metolius,I think it's has a 60 plus foot belly.
That XLT like taper makes the nymph line perfect for SH casts.I need to get me a #8 ([email protected]') for the Sage 5120.The #6 I tried is to lite,though the hole head can be out of the guides to cast.SA head lengths are from 65.5-67.5,as you said.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Does anybody know what kind of lines the guys also showing single handed spey techniques in "The Art of Speycasting" DVD were using? (Ie Chris King, Steve Choate, Simon G). Seems like good easy casting combos.

Of course, it helps to a be a gifted caster as well...:)

Got a Loop Yellow 9´,9" #8/9 coming my way soon and was mostly thinking about using it with the Loop heads. For longer lines I got a Steelfin XXD (much like the SA XXD but with a slightly longer rear taper) that should work. Also hear the SA Nymph is a good choice.

What about Windcutter WF:s?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
craigspey said:
That XLT like taper makes the nymph line perfect for SH casts.I need to get me a #8 ([email protected]') for the Sage 5120.The #6 I tried is to lite,though the hole head can be out of the guides to cast.SA head lengths are from 65.5-67.5,as you said.
Craig .. want one? I've got the 8wt and I want to replace it with another line. As noted above, this is one line that I just can't get my casting around. I suspect what I need is a shorter front head/tapper for my casting stroke. PM me with you address and I'll send you mine. The line is quite new so it's in good condition.

What I want to try is the Salmon/steelhead taper line that's so darned popular with our local 1-hander folks here on the upper Rogue.
Fred

·
Registered
128 Posts
fredaevans said:
....What I want to try is the Salmon/steelhead taper line that's so darned popular with our local 1-hander folks here on the upper Rogue.
Fred
Is that the olive green one? I have a 9 wt. olive green line on a reel, which i think is the same line your talking about and I've used it to with the one hand spey (sage 810 xp), I recall it cast very well. As an overhead line the thing's a rocket.
daniel

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Dan, don't have the line (salmon/steelhead taper) but, if memory serves, it's a light colour of some sort. A dark line 'usually' indicates a sinking line ... at least all of the ones I can remember (as in off the top of my head).

Fred

·
Registered
112 Posts
The current Rio Salmon Steelhead lines are a bright yellow. I have the 7wt and the 8wt. I have used these extensively over the last few years for single handed spey. I also have the Rio Nymph. I very much prefer the steelhead taper for single handed spey (blunt forward taper on the nymph line is the problem for me I think). I also would upline by at least 1 weight on a fast action rod. I prefer to use a 8 wt line on a 8wt Sage SLT which is a soft rod that I consider to be more of a 7 1/2 wt. I use a 7wt line on my 6 wt Sage XP which I consider to be a 6 1/2wt. When I asked Simon what line he was using for single handed spey he indicated the Rio Steelhead line.

·
Laird of Locharber
90 Posts
Line swap

fredaevans said:
Craig .. want one? I've got the 8wt and I want to replace it with another line. As noted above, this is one line that I just can't get my casting around. I suspect what I need is a shorter front head/tapper for my casting stroke. PM me with you address and I'll send you mine. The line is quite new so it's in good condition.

What I want to try is the Salmon/steelhead taper line that's so darned popular with our local 1-hander folks here on the upper Rogue.
Fred
Fred thanks again for the nymph taper,it will soon be tried on the 5120.Hope the steelhead taper is ticket for your needs.:)

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Had a good go with both the 'new' steelhead taper and my new RIO Grand line (8wts) yesterday. Both lines worked like a charm single handed spey casting. Easyest (speling socks toonight:saevilw: ) casts were the double spey, snake and either the circle or snap-t.

Tried using an indicator for a bit, and that really did create too much 'drag' to get the line up and moving. I could 'do it,' but length of cast was cut by at least 1/3.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts