Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Where's the best place to get the long boxes to mail fly rods in?

Also, which carrier is best: UPS, FEDx, or USPS?

Thanks

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you want the rods to survive don’t use
UPS.
Others may feel different but my experience with UPS has been not good.
USPS has been great.
They have free triangular priority boxes but they won’t fit the longer rods.
Maybe you can combine 2 boxes?
Cannot speak to fed ex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I prefer USPS, and I use flat sided tubes.

I've shipped lots of stuff with FedEx for years, and had good though expensive results.

I don't use UPS if I can avoid it at all. I did for awhile, and they proved to be too hard on things.

·
Registered
561 Posts
If I need them, I usually buy boxes at one of the UPS stores. They usually, not always, have 4" x 60" boxes which work for me. Of course I keep on hand the boxes that are sent to me with rods in them. I always use USPS, have found it very dependable.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Shipping

I take y box that is long enough, score it into 4 sides that is the tube dia. Then fold it into a triangle, and tape the bajeesies out of it. Usps will ship priorty have way across the country for $15,18 bucks with 200 ins.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Curiously I have found UPS (via a broker, not direct) the best for cost to the US or Canada from the UK.
The tracking is very good, showing updates as it passes through each checkpoint. I've never had to claim on anything however.
Shipping into the UK, Fedex has been awful, I had to make an official complaint for a (non) delivery of a reel, and it was the second time I had problems like this.
USPS has pretty patchy tracking into the UK - it converts into the local UK courier arm getting into the UK - and the insurance is limited shipping overseas, which is a worry if the items are of high value.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,540 Posts
As far as I'm concerned there all too damn expensive. Let's face it nobody is killing themselves delivering and they all treat packages terrible regardless of how there marked or what you paid.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
As far as I'm concerned there all too damn expensive. Let's face it nobody is killing themselves delivering and they all treat packages terrible regardless of how there marked or what you paid.
Really? You can ship a rod cross country for less than $20.00. That seems like a great deal to me.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Hello all,

Where's the best place to get the long boxes to mail fly rods in?

Also, which carrier is best: UPS, FEDx, or USPS?

Thanks
If your'e in the PDX area I can help you out with a box. I have boxes from stretcher bars for paintings.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have had good luck with USPS so far, in the states and across the Canadian border. UPS ( useless property smashers) don't care what they are shipping, they will ruin it on purpose.

·
Registered
397 Posts
A couple thoughts from my experience:

1. Insurance from USPS is basically worthless. Insurance from UPS and Fedex will only pay if the packing is done by their employees or agents.

2. I recently sold a rod to a member here who was about an hour and a half away from me. I went to a UPS company store. They wanted $70+ dollars for packing, shipping and insurance. I then went to a shipping store who had access to rates from UPS, Fedex and USPS. I ended up paying a little over $28 to have the rod packed, shipped and insured.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,540 Posts
Really? You can ship a rod cross country for less than $20.00. That seems like a great deal to me.
In Canada $20 won't get you insurance or a signature. I shipped a line this morning, cost about $3 more or less. I asked how much for a tracking number..$13+. For what I ask. I was willing to pay extra for this but not more than quadruple. I don't know about the USPS but Canada post is profit driven. The USPS is federally subsidized so prices are kept lower. Mt $.02.

Dan

·
redneck swinger
623 Posts
I've shipped and had rods shipped all by USPS. The rods that were in tubes all just shipped in the tube, wrapped in brown paper. All arrived intact

·
Registered
89 Posts
Get the cardboard tubes from a carpet store that is the center on a carpet roll.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,262 Posts
I agree with the first 2 replies and needed go no further before hitting the reply button. You can fashion a triangle tube from 2 of the free Priority box / tubes. I have sent many rods out of Alaska using USPS with no problems ever, I do insure my shipments.

I had a claim with UPS in 2004 regarding the destruction of my property during shipping. They refunded my fees for shipping and insurance but found a loop hole to dismiss my claim. Never again.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Don’t assume by paying someone to pack and ship that ups will honor the insurance.
I paid 70$ to have “ pros”pack shipped and insure a very expensive hardy reel.
The ups truck broke down.
The package finally arrived loose in a plastic
Ups bag that had been ripped open.the box inside cut with a razor everything was thrown back in the bag loose and a bunch of
Tape wrapped around it.
There was a hole in the bag and reel was about to fall out.
I took photos before opening called ups immediate . I Hand delivered 1:3o hour drive away to the inspector.
They denied the claim saying the shipper used non certified cardboard.
Nothing about my package being pilfered
Seemed to matter, they did not care.
Still gets me fuming when I think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Unregistered member
251 Posts
I too have had virtually zero issues with USPS, especially when going international. My main way to go about shipping rods, especially long ones (>50in), is to break a moving box from the Depot or Lowes or something along the corrugations, then wrap it around the tube and bubble wrap. Tape the yankees out of it and take it to the PO.

On the "USPS insurance is crap" note: virtually every claim gets rejected up front. I've it on good word that the rejection is a screening measure for serious claims - they'd go broke if they gave money out freely to everyone who asked for it. Every claim I've seen re-submitted was approved and paid out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts