Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, Folks:

I would like to ask you a beginner's question. I am new to fly fishing, just getting around to taking it up. Is there any reason NOT to start out right away with spey casting equipment? What do you think? Thank you for your advice.

Peter D

·
Registered
886 Posts
No reason at all

Peter,
I very seldom use anything else than Spey Casting, but it really depends on what species you are aiming to catch.

Best of luck in your choice.

Malcolm

·
Registered
29 Posts
Spey rods

Howdy Peter,
The reason the Spey cast equiment was developed was because of lack o f casting Room. Now if you are in the Indian Ocean then maybe the coningtower or sail is in the way and you have to find a rod that will make a long cast over lots of water. THE the spey rods are just what you need. If you are just casting to the wake of the boat you would be better off with a short fast loading rod for heavy lifting rod. The Spey rod is not a good rod for lifting from a depth. The long leaver give the fish all the advantage.
If you are going to fish small tree covered creeks then the long rod is not a good choice.
Where the spey rods work best is on big water long controled cast. Even if you have limited room to make a backcast.
Flight decks are much more open that most spring creeks
Welcome aboard.
ol' Flysoup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts