Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QUESTION: Spey line section names

Hello,

I have been single-handing for about 20 years, and I am starting to Spey, and doing well with it, but I am lacking a bit of understanding. Looking for any suggestions or information re line setups for freshwater river steelhead 45-55 degree water.

Can anyone please explain the main section names of spey line I should be using?

Here is my understanding of section names:

BACKING --- RUNNING LINE --- SHOOTING LINE --- HEADER --- LEADER
(30lb) ---------------------- (RIO windcutter) (floating) (15' -25-8lb)

Is this coorct? I understand the running line can be built into the shooting. Is this true in all cases?

SO is Spey line always broken into 5 main sections?

I undrestand shooting line (which I have) is not required?

Can anyone give me a basic and simple lesson on the section names of typical Spey lines rig?

I am fishing for Steelhead in 50 degree waters (river fishing) ..

Thanks for any help or clarifications - hitting the river on Tues! Thanks!!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
SO is Spey line always broken into 5 main sections?

In my opinion the answer is yes. Starting from the front a spey line has a tip, usually 1', a front taper, a belly/body, a rear taper, and a running line. I would call the tip, front taper, belly/body, and rear taper "the head". The running line and shooting line are one and the same and the rear end of the running line attaches to the backing.

·
Registered
344 Posts
spey lines dont have to be any different than single hand.

Backing -same
line -same
leader -same
tippet -same

Just like single hand some people like to buy a line and leader and some people like to build their own. I think maybe you have been talking to someone who likes to tinker and build lines? Starting out just buy a line that works for most of your fishing and that matches your rod. Lines come in double taper, weight forward and shooting heads. Within weight forward there are short and long bellies. If you want to get into shooting heads they are no different than shooting heads for single handers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Line Question Replies

Just like single hand some people like to buy a line and leader and some people like to build their own.
Yes. I actually tie my own Spey leaders 25lb-8lb - they come out to about 15'.. I always prefer to tie my own.

I think maybe you have been talking to someone who likes to tinker and build lines?
Well, I started to question what I know when I started reading some various articles about lines and listening to some fellow fishers. So I guess yes.

If you want to get into shooting heads they are no different than shooting heads for single handers.
I guess that is my question. I never used shooting heads for single handing, and I am using one for my Spey..

I think my questions is: with shooting head, you do not need running line(line) as it is normally built into the shooting head line??? Is this true??

So I would go from my: backing --- tapered line --- shooting head --- leader --- tippet ..

Just want to make sure I understand what Im doing before I buy line and set up rigs etc.. Thanks for any more tips!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
If you buy a Rio WindCutter you will not need anything else except a leader. The floating version will work well in water temps down to 46 to 48 degrees (at least for my fishing). Lower then that and you will find a WindCutter VersiTip very useful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see

MJC,

Thanks for the insight. For your info, I have the RIO Versa Tip.. It is very convenient as I can swap it out with my sinking tip, and sinking leader .. I think what I actually have are the cheaters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.