Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trecking back and forth to a hospital as of late, (I guess old age catches up when we least expect it) that is convienently located in the seattle area, puget sound. So I now have this new interest is SRC with a switch rod on the beaches. I have searched for patterns and it seems that there are alot of them but most point to minnow patterns such as clousers and chum babies. Wanting to increase my learning of the art of tying feather and hair wing flies, does anyone know of a type of minnow pattern that would suffice and keep me occupied over the next few months?
I apologize if this is the wrong thread to post here,
Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Rick I have a old book at my shop. And under steelhead fly's it has some fly's for sea run cut's I will send you some of the patterns towmarow night

Rocky

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
908 Posts
I remember using The Borchers Special when fishing for bluebacks as a kid. Dave

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I've been doing a fair bit of reading on the subject lately, and it seems that stickle back patterns seem to be on the top of the list. Sparesly dressed was the most comon trait between each article.

Your probably not far off with the Chum Fry either, when they are around that is.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
All be it years back ...

The most successful pattern I used (fishing the estuaries) was a fly tied with a light yellow yarn body, touch of red feather for a tail and a couple of wraps of Griz hackle at the throat.

fae

·
Registered
116 Posts
Give these guys a try...

Next time you're in the area, check out the Gig Harbor Fly Shop and ask for Blake. He has quite a library of books with flies and recipes for that purpose. The guys there can get you on the right track for fishing the sound.

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
908 Posts
Is there a fish out there ............ that won't take a Muddler ?!?!?! It's my all time favourite steelhead fly. Dave

·
Registered
766 Posts
Rick,

We're doing very well on SRC right now with black and dark brown leech's with red flash throats. The feeder creeks of the estuaries at low tide have been producing big fish on the AM low tide. Lost Coast, Nor Cal.

Good Luck and Be Well,
sixheads

1 - 12 of 12 Posts