Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any first-hand experience good or bad with regards to the Yetti waterproof duffle bags.??? Been thinking of getting the Panga 100 to use when traveling on fishing trips- my biggest concerns are its cost( is it really worth it), weight( 6.8lb) and that it evidently maintains somewhat of a rigid shape, unlike other duffles.

thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not totally on point since you specified first hand experience with the Yeti, but here are my thoughts anyway.��

I was looking at the Yeti when I needed a new duffle for a trip. I bought a Patagonia Black Hole 120 instead. My decision was largely driven by the fact that the Yeti doesn’t have wheels and I didn’t want to have to carry a 50 lb bag around. Also, I didn’t think the waterproof feature of the Yeti was all that valuable to me, personally.

I’ve had the Black Hole for two years and it shows almost no wear.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
When flying, I don't want my dry bags exposed to conveyors/automated equipment- for concern over wear and puncturing. I want dry bags I can mash flat and pack in heavy duffels. I have a daypack and dry bag from Sagebrush Dry I can't recommend enough.

That said, the only Yeti things I have are a coffee cup and tumbler, gifted from my kids. It irks me how much better they are at keeping hot stuff hot than other brands, as their price point made me want to dislike them. But they are excellent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bigfoot - I won a smaller Panga at a fishing event raffle and like it a lot. It’s definitely a tad heavy for a bag but that seems by design - the thing is pretty bulletproof, or feels it. And it does hold its shape somewhat too when empty. The material is just beefy. I’d say that if you are looking for a duffel that’s unlikely to see a lot of rain and tough conditions then a Black Hole duffel might be best, but if you want something that is really engineered to take a beating, the Panga seems like a good candidate. The design is fairly simple, like most dry bags. I haven’t done any big float trips or anything with it yet, so it’s only seen light duty use. YMMV. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If you are wanting a dry duffel specifically, have you looked into Watershed duffel bags? They make the best dry bags I’ve ever used, very bomber, completely dry, trust them more than any of the others I’ve used. I’m not crazy about duffel designs in general, so I opted for one of their backpack style bags years ago and love it, but I have used their smaller duffels in the past as well. I know two professional photographers who used them for their cameras while whitewater kayaking, both felt they were just as confident in keeping their cameras dry in the Watershed bags as they were in Pelican cases. That’s saying a lot. While they aren’t cheap, they are priced a bit lower than Yeti’s. I’ve not used a Yeti Panga, but judging from their coolers I would expect they are probably top notch too. Just expensive!

If you don’t need a completely waterproof bag, I’d agree with recommendations for Patagonia’s Black Hole. Great bags, have had two different ones, hard to upgrade to one with wheels for airport travel.
JB

·
Registered
602 Posts
I WOULD NOT get any highend waterproof bag for airline checking.
As mentioned the conveyor/baggage system will destroy those bags. Might be the first trip or the 10th.. but it will happen... and its a guess to where the wear will occur - bottom/top/side/zipper area

I have had a few of the Patagonia blackhole duffels. I like them, however the quality and burliness has decreased over the past few years (lightweight and less durable materials). BUT it is a rip stop, so when it tears it isn't a major failure.

I have Sagebrush waterproof bags that I either use as carry ons or they pack flat into my large checked duffel

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve has a yeti panga 100 for a few years now. I have taken it to a number of destinations around the globe on airlines, helicopters, quads, jet boats and such. I have to say, it is a great bag. It is tough, but can get heavy if you have to pack it far. That being said, I have packed my bag to places where wheeled luggage would not have helped, like muddy trails. Yes it was expensive, but I have no regrets and I’m pretty sure the panga will out survive me. Just my 0.02.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts