Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy folks , i have an opportunity to get feathers from a "exotic" bird store . parakeets , macaws etc . while the feathers are obviously very beautiful , i am not really sure what to do with them . the store owner says he has "thousands " and is willing to sell me some . since he has "thousands " i am guessing he doesn't have a market for them currently and i don't want over pay . any guidance from the worldly and wise contributors to this brilliant website would be greatly appreciated .
thanks , jim

fly fisher 'til it's over
The best thing to do is send me this fellow's name and tele #. 馃槈

Were I you, I would look on some websites to determine worth, or market value.

The Dude abides
check prices on ebay for bulk lots of macaw... something around $10 per hundred feathers... id go much lower on my offer. hes in a position to turn garbage to something.

Registered
And then post them here (mainly macaw) for us to purchase from you for a very minimal fee!!

Depends on what breeds as far as value for everything else but macaw tail centers in prime condition can fetch a pretty good price

Matt Arciaga
pairing

Depending on what you after if you buy bulk feathers for pairing you should keep this in mind when negotiating prices. I buy bulk turkey tail feathers 100$ at a time, I may get 80 feathers which turns into 70 I can use since there is no match or not equal barbs on both sides. Plus I'm doing the labor of the matching. Still a damn deal if you ask me... :)

Registered
Find yellow headed amazon mathing tail feathers (green parrot), blue and yellow macaw, red macaw, blue and red macaw, powdered blue macaw and african grey parrot tails (red parrot). A couple pairs or each (or centertails) and youll be set for a long time (years and years).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
question on

thanks to everyone for their advice . i'll be going to meet the owner of the shop , who describe himself as "the crabby guy " on his website , soon . if i can work out any decent deals i can let folks know and maybe work some trades .
pretty new to tying , i am inspired by the artistic work i always see on this page . i've tied a few classics , but haven't got the nerve to post any , yet . actually lost best the best candidate to the creek bottom last week ! oh well , that's what their for !
best wishes , jim

fly fisher 'til it's over
actually lost best the best candidate to the creek bottom last week ! oh well , that's what *their* they're for!
That's why I always tie twins, and take pictures! Normally, if I lose one of the twins, I won't fish the other unless the fish are really bangin' em. That way, I can copy it. If I lose the second, I'll fall back to my pictures.

隆buena suerte!

JD
When I lived in So.Ca, & had a parrot, I visited the bird store where I purchased it regularly. They would give me the feathers for free. It's rare to get matching pairs unless you own the bird and get every last one they molt.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i do take pictures so all is not lost , and usually my spelling is a little better !:chuckle:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts