Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Curious as to thoughts on being the first to post or PM "commit to buy" to an item on a classified item

What is the correct procedure?

Over the years on numerous occasions, I have been first response in the post with a "pm sent" (and sending the pm that Id like to commit to buy" and/or the first response "id like to purchase"

Sometimes someone beats you to the punch....is this just the way it is?

David

·
Registered
435 Posts
I try to respond to the first PM and think they have dibs... To be safe when purchasing I send a PM and a response in thread!

But yes sometimes people beat me to the punch and that is just the way it is

·
Registered
728 Posts
Good question. I go by chronological order for the first person who answered and then pays. Typically I will allow 24 hours to come up with payment.

The classified section of the sites works well and I have purchased and sold a number of items. Patience is key.

Mark

·
Registered
78 Posts
First "I'LL TAKE IT " should have honors with PM to seller AFTER.

That way the classified has a chronological record of declaration to purchase UP FRONT not some PM that could be misunderstood.

I think the seller has to have the hammer.

My 2cents.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I sell to the first PM in my inbox. I have held an Item for the first poster and having a few days pass I sold it to next in line only to get a "what the hell" post from the original "I'll take it".

I have learned if I dont get something when I should have oh well move on. Also if I get a self entitled d!ck head who wants to buy something I skip to the next in line regardless of the time stamp on the message. It really doesn't hurt my feelings any but thats just my 2 pennies

·
Registered
340 Posts
I sell to the first PM in my inbox. I have held an Item for the first poster and having a few days past I sold it to next in line only to get a "what the hell" post from the original "I'll take it".

I have learned if I dont get something when I should have oh well move on. Also if I get a self initiated d!ck head who wants to buy something I skip to the next in line regardless of the time stamp on the message. It really doesn't hurt my feelings any but thats just my 2 pennies

Matthew
You crack me up!! Lol
Rod

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
I try to remember now to explicitly say in the classified post "first one with an actual offer via pm gets it". It isnt usually an issue, but I forgot a few weeks back, and there was a bit of a whackamole with offers made two people via both the thread and pms, but I was lucky and the same person was first in both cases, but only by 2 minutes!

For me it has to be an "I want it", for the asking price, NOT a mere inquiry or a lower offer to which I usually reply something like, "if I lower the price I'll let you know". I'd say upwards of half of the posts and pms are NOT actual offers but just questions, so yeah, "pm sent" means nothing except "go check your pms". "I want it", to me also implies you are either ready and willing to finalize the deal and pay immediately, OR the buyer immediately (let's say within an hour) asks for some kind of accomodation. Doing an "I want it" then going incommunicado for 3 days always means you should not expect the item to be reserved for you when you finally get back. But "I want it but am heading out the door to go fishing and will be back on Tuesday to finalize things" almost always works fine for me. I usually try to wait a good while and be as accommodating as possible, well past the point where I feel potential buyer is being rude, about 24 hours after an "I want it" with no further communication, and then after a warning pm giving them a set amount of time, remove the "SPF" and reset things back to being the NEXT person who says/said they want it. It does happen, but is hardly ever necessary.

Unlike some people I am NOT bothered by people who act interested and never follow up. In such case an "I decided not to buy it" is nice, but not at all required. It is the "I want it" that implies actions on my part such as reserving the item and immediately communicating with the buyer and finalizing everything that is the important thing. But all of these things come under the heading of common curtesy, not hard rules ... except where there is a SP rule somewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts