Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Malcom,

Exceptional job on the new shipment of Willie Guns done on Waddingtons. Until I received these, I'd 'heard' of flies tied this way, but these are my first 'eye-ball' experince. With that in mind: attaching the hook.

The Waddington bar appears to be a 'double looped bar' (ring on either end, bottom end opens like a snap swivel). I assume you just slide a small treble hook into the opening and 'you're good to go?'

On the small versions the bottom loop is either tied under the body of the fly (or am I missing the obvious without my first cup of tea) or it's solid. Tie the hook on with a short run of leader?

If you have the time/energy I'd love to have you send me a dozen of the waddington 'bars' in different sizes so I could play with them myself. There's NO WAY I'd find anything like that within 300 miles of Medford. Great way to start a "you want to see something really different?" conversation on the river.
:D

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Fred-
I've played around with Wadingtons a little bit...I avoid the treble just because so many of the waters that I fish are selective fishery/barbless single hooks.

I just run #30 dacron...splice a loop in one end and run it through the eye of say a 2/0 or so single Octupus, I lay the dacron on top of the Wadington, tie it down and cement it. Usually I leave just an inch or so between my trailer and the shank.

Once the cement is dry, I tie my fly...I will also palmer some rabbit around the trailer if I am just tying basic bunny leaches.

·
Registered
886 Posts
In the post

Fred,
They will be in the post tommorrow.
The smaller waddingtons are just the same as the big ones, maybe the dressing is too close to the end. In Scotland I just slide on a treble with a piece of tubing over the treble, then squeeze the end closed and push the tubing up to stop everthing coming disconnnected again. This works with singles as well if you can get a single with a big enough eye. The other way is to slide on the tubing giving you effectively a ring at both ends the thread your nylon through the eye at the front then through the eye at the back and then tie to hook. You can then slide the tubing back down to tighten everything up, this saves on having to buy too many trebles/ singles.

Does that make sense? I wish I had studied more in English classes.

Malcolm
Ps I was in Brora last week, the home of the Willie Gunn apparently Rob Wilson is still alive in his nineties, unfortunately he is not getting about as much as he used to.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Willie/Ryan: can I take both of you up on your

kind offers. As noted, no way am I going to get anything like that around here (don't even remember seeing Waddingtons advertised in catalogs).

Very cool Malcom doing them up like a tube fly; ditto to both ideas on running the leader through both rings. I'll rig up a rod both ways tonight and slip away tomorrow evening.:D Cell phones are a good thing ..... as long as the other person can't hear the sound of moving water.

Snigger, snigger ....:devil:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Tying Waddingtons

Fred, if you can't locate Waddington shanks, they can be made from either stainless steel or brass wire. These are sometimes known as 'Brora Waddingtons' and tend to be a little heavier (as well as a lot cheaper) than the commercially bought shanks.

A couple of tips when tying them.

1. If you want to increase the weight without making them too bulky, just run a length of wire along the shank, tucked into the groove between the two wires, before you tie the body. You can obviously do this on both sides if you want. Much slimmer than winding lead wire down the body.

2. I always like to ensure the hook is held in line with the shank - this is particularly necessary on the larger sizes. If you don't want to use rubber or plastic tubing to hold the hook straight (I find it can sometimes be a bit stiff and also bulky on smaller flies) you can use nylon monofil. Whip two strands of nylon about 1" long (I use about 12lb test) to the hook you are going to use and varnish or superglue. Thread the hook onto the rear loop of the waddington, pinch loop closed and tie on a layer of tying thread across the loop. Align the hook, place one strand of the nylon on each side of the shank, whip down and trim off the nylon. Again finish with varnish or superglue. The thread for this operation can be a contrasting colour to the body to make a butt. Then tie the rest of the fly. This way the hook is held in line, but almost invisibly - good if you want to keep a really slim profile - and is also totally flexible so avoids leverage when playing a fish. You can use any nylon, as it doesn't take any strain - the stiffness is the thing you are after. Replacing the hook isn't quite as easy as with the tubing, but it isn't hard. Put the wing of the fly into a bulldog clip to hold it out of the way and cut through the whipping on the rear loop with a scalpel. You can then just open the loop, replace the hook with another that has the nylon stalks already whipped on, and whip and varnish as before. Keep the wing out of the way until the varnish has dried.

Have fun with them.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greatly appreciate the 'how to' instuructions!

Have printed this out in anticipation of the arrival of 'my' shanks. As we have a great tendency to use weighted flies on the upper Rogue (in many areas you have zero option not to) the recommendation on weighting is most appreciated. This fly configuration looks better 'slimmer' than tubbie (wrapping lead wire around the hook/shank).

Fred

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Waddington 'first test.'

Lordie do those things lay out nice on the end of a 30 sinking head. Up at 5am (colder than the balls on a brass monkey this morning) so out a little later than usual. No Joy on fish but did get in lots of casting practice with the Sage 10wt a la Waddington.

As usual, not another person in sight.
fe

·
Registered
459 Posts
Come on Fred there must be more fisherman out there ?

Stop saying you never see anyone else on the river it is driving me crazy.:hehe: :hehe:

When is the spring salmon run over and can you use more of those flies this year ?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hal, it's the actual truth. What folks are out

usually head all the way to the top of the river so they can stand shoulder to should and fling away with drift rods and 1-2 oz of lead. And 99% of them will go a way when the upper river goes to fly only. Once you get down a bit over a mile from the damn Dam :)hehe: ) it's just you ..... and no .... one ..... else.

Another reason I always carry my cell phone. In context, there's only 180'ish thousand people in the whole County and maybe 10-15% of them do any kind of fishing. And that's usually lake fishing (we have a couple of really top end lake fisheries in the immediate area).

YoYo can lake fish for awhile ... then water ski. Works for me.

Forgot to add: The Spring King run usually peaders out about Mid July then the summer runs really start showing. Summer's usually arn't into high gear until late August. So if you really want to pound fish you take about an hours drive towards the coast to the Agness area and go bannana's with the 1/2 pounder run. Historicly there's thousands of 1-3# fish each year. Dry's, nymphing, what-ever .... some guys I know who (are damn good with a fly rod) target these beasties and hook 30-40 in a day. Quit because their too tired to fish anymore.

Other option, until the Rogue summers kick in, is to head up to the North Umpqua which is about 2.5 hours (125 miles) drive north of us by freeway. Same driving time as it probably take you to clear Chicago?
fe:devil:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Fred,

Man you are lucky.

I could really get into 20-30 half pounders in a day on dries with my 9 foot 5 weight. Are you sure about that number of fish ?

North Umpqua now thats another steelhead river on my to do list.

P.S. I am only two posts from the 1,000 club post mile stone, what should I do on that one ?

Hal

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Post that you've wised up, you're chucking it all,

and moving West young man. Think about it .... your a good atty so finding a position around here could be very straight forward, just not pay as well as Chicago.... but you can walk the streets after dark. Also the average sales price of homes in Medford last month was $177K and change. $200+ will buy you a hell of a home in a top end neighborhood .... and you can drive to Ashland and take in the Shakespeare plays in a 30 minute drive.

So you live in East Medford like me ... you leave driveway and in 20'ish minutes your getting out of your car a little after 5am for some pre-employment summer run fishing. Fish til 8, slip out of your hip waders and at your desk by 830am. And you could be holding a contest to see who wins dinner. A 'ever endearing' thing to do.

It is just about that easy.
fe

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Fred
You can make them from piano wire ,easily found at your local hobby store.(and a lot ^&%%$# cheaper too !!)
Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Fred
Ishould've mentioned an easier method of making tubes or faux-waddinton shanks.
heat some Shrink -wrap onto your hook and then slide some rubber tubing onto the hook ensuring a tight fit.Take a BLUNT knitting needle in the length that you want your fly to be .Tie on a loop at the "head" of the needle,much the same as the loop on a classic blind eye fly.Tie on your fav. pattern onto the needle.When you go fishin' thread your leader through the loop and tye on the hook.Then push the blunt point of the needle under the rubber tubing on the hook .Cast to eagerly waiting Salmonid.When you do nail a fish the fly will ride up the leader.You'll also avoid the annoyance of Waddington shanks in that after a few fish the hokk wrappings tend to get ratty andyou have to retye the entire fly.These needle flies also "ride and dance"" a LOT nicer in the water. For U Steelhead fisherperson types you may want to tye them onto brass rod cut to lenght to get the fly down.
Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
459 Posts
Fred,

Above you took a shot at our Chicago traffic ,well we are not the worst for rush hour any way. Heck even Seattle has us beat.

LA is still number 1 for the worst. I was there in February and I beleive there rating. At 3 in the morning they had heavy traffic as I looked out my hotel room onto the 405 I think it was. To think I almost moved there in my twenties.

Yes Portland did make the list.

Check it out.

P.S. It takes me 50 minutes on average to drive 32 miles to work. I use my time in the traffic jams to think up new fly designs for your spring salmon fishing pursuits :chuckle:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-020620traffic.story?coll=chi-news-hed

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hal, think I saw the 'rankings' on the 3am news

At least they noted where the western cities ranked. Surprised that Portland made #11. Seattle was no surprise other than the the freeway systems up there were built/designed (after some monumental changes/upgrades) to handle the traffic.

I lived in the Seattle area for 30'ish years and watched it build, and build, and and, and, and. Suspect that if you took the three main counties in Washington (King, Thurston and Snohomish) you'd have more people than the entire State of Oregon. Good, let them have the "clamoring masses." 'Down here' we just putt along and do our thing.
fe

·
Registered
459 Posts
I will bet all of those Microsoft silicon valley type yuppies that populated the Seattle area also took up fly fishing after they saw "A river Runs Through It" a decade ago and bought Jet Sleds. Thats another reason the Washington rivers probably got even more crowded. At least that is how it appears from my remote proximity. :devil:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Malcom, had a good laugh yesterday pm; "you're" the point

of a local sports shops latest 'compitition.' I do most of my local 'shopping' at the "OutDoor Store" here in Medford. Fellows always ask me how it's going with the long rods, etc. Told them about the 5 the past Sunday and got the usual "What On!!"

Anyway, one of the rods had one of your new Waddington Shank Willie Guns loaded (the actual fly on Sunday was a WG-tube) so I cut it off and brought it in for the guys to see. Not a one of them had ever seen a Willie G, let alone a Waddington.

So they 'borrowed' the fly, with the idea of holding a 'name that fly' contest; assume Board members will be excluded from participation. :smokin:
fe

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hey, I can now recognize what a Willie Gunn looks like. I like others thought that was the name of the forumn member for quite a while then found out it was a famous scottish AS fly name.

Let me know where I can enter that contest. Do they have a web site ?

Malcolm I was at my dentist this morning for my teeth cleaning, I dislike that more than the actual drilling I must say.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts