Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for Redington AS 13/14 reel owners,

I was wondering approximately how much backing a Redington AS 13/14 will hold with either a Mid Spey or Long Delta?

Thanks.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
MOre backing than you will ever need. I use my AS 13/14 with my 10/11 GrandSpey and it has 100 feet of belly. My 13/14 hold the 10/11 GrandSpey and 245 yards of 30 pound backing. With a MidSpey or Delta Long Belly, it would probable hold 450 to 600 yards of 30 pound backing depending on the line weight you will be using. The 13/14 is really overkill for anything other than the extra long belly lines like the XLT and GrandSpey, and then only with the large 9/10 or 10/11 size line at that.

The AS 11/12 (or even the AS 9/10 with 7/8/9 Windcutters) are plenty big enough.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Flytyer.I have both the 11/12 and 13/14 but chose the 13/14 for my spey rod for better balance(the 11/12 feels a little light) and a larger arbour advantage when full.The rod is a 14ft 9/10 and I will be putting a 9/10 Midspey or Long Delta on it.

I just wanted to know how much I will probably need to put on the reel as I will be buying it from a local shop that sells backing in bulk by the yard off a large spool.I want to make sure I fill the reel but obviously don't want to waste to much if I need to take some off for the line to fit.I would also like the reel to double as a warm saltwater setup for future trips.

I believe the 13/14 is rated for 450 yards of 30lbs dacron with a 14wt flyline on it.I was just wondering how a 14wt WF flyline compares to a 9/10 midspey type line in regards to how much spool space they would take up?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
flytyer re your AS 13/14

If possible would you please answer some questions re your experience with that reel.

What rod do you use this reel on?

What is the biggest fish you have caught on that reel, and how did it hold up?

Do you know what the weight of the reel is?

I have a Sage 10151, and I am thinking about putting a AS 13/14 on it. It will be used to fish for Kings in No. California and SW Oregon. I have the Accelerator 9/10 now for that rod.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Red's AS 13/14 for "Big Fish."

What rod do you use this reel on?

What is the biggest fish you have caught on that reel, and how did it hold up?

Do you know what the weight of the reel is?

I have a Sage 10151, and I am thinking about putting a AS 13/14 on it. It will be used to fish for Kings in No. California and SW Oregon. I have the Accelerator 9/10 now for that rod.

I've got at least 4 of these reels (both large and small arbor) and they're my 'big stick' reels of choice. Largest fish landed using this reel (on a B & W 18' rod) clocked in at over 35#. That's as high as the guides scale went and there was still fish in the water. Unusually large, but I've decked several fish in the mid 20's and the reel worked just fine. Not a wimper.

For Kings you'll want a fast sinking head system. Either of your own make, or Type 6 or 8 heads.
fae

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Thanks Fred

Thanks for the data. Sounds like this reel would be fine for my 10151 fishing for Kings.

I have the sinking heads for the Accelerator. I will purchase the type 8 and the sinking tip compensator to add to the sinking tips. If I remove tip 1 and 2 and attached the compensator then the 6 or 8 fifteen foot tip. It drops like a rock. Rio's new sink tip compensator really helps to get your flies down deep and fast.

If they are really down, I will use Rio's Striper line with the 26 ft 350 grain built in shooting head with an intermediate running line. This sinks like an anchor dropped from a battle ship.

Thanks again as usual for your great information.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Grandpa Spey.

I use my 13/14 on my 1611 T&T and have a 10/11 GrandSpey loaded on it. This is the rod, line and reel I used since November and the largest fish I have caught on it this year was a 22 pound fresh chum in mid-November on the Skagit. This reel will handle any anadromous salmonid with our breaking a sweat. It will handle a prodigious amount of backing with the 9/10 Accelerator.

I think my 13/14 weighs about 12.5 onces empty. With line and backing, it weighs around 16 onces. And it ballances my 16 foot T&T very well.

Peter,

I'm envious of you going to Penn's Creek, one of my favorite streams in Pennsylvania. I must say that there are not many things I miss living here in Western Washington, but Penn's Creek in May, June, September, and October is one of them. Do you fish it on the east or west side of the mountain?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
flytyer

Thanks for your reply. If that reel can handle a 22 pound fresh chum, it should be able to handle our kings.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the 13/14 is anything like the other reels then they are more than capable of handling anything you would ever fish for in freshwater and all but the biggest and fastest saltwater fish.I have 6 or 7 of the AS reels from the 7/8 to the 13/14 and my 9/10 has landed well over 1000 salmon so far,including several chum over 30lbs and chinook up to 45lbs.Never a single problem with any of my reels since they first came out.

I think these reels are EXTREMELY under rated and got a undeserved bad rap due to some initial drag problems with the AL models,which I don't particularly like(they are too heavy IMHO).I have ALOT of confidence in the AS reels and I would go as far as saying they have been as good to me as my Ross Gunnisons(which are also a great reel for the dollar),yet are a fraction of the price.I wouldn't hesitate to use these reels for 99% of my fishing needs.I guess if I fished warm saltwater alot I would invest in a Tibor,Abel,or Ross Canyon,but for full time freshwater and part time salt I wouldn't think twice about using these reels on all but the biggest saltwater baddies.

There are some UNBELIEVABLY good deals now on EBay and I think that one would have to be crazy NOT to get at least one of them.I originally paid $330 Canadian + taxes so they were around $360 Canadian each when they first came out.I just bought 2 more of them last week,including the 13/14 for my spey rod,for$60- $70US each.After exchange and shipping they worked out to $120 Canadian each.That's less than the price of a spare spool for MOST reels.In fact you could buy several AS reels now for the price of most spare spools!

The 13/14 is listed as holding 450 yards of 30lbs dacron and according to my Redington brochure the 13/14 is rated as 10 ounces(it feels lighter than it looks) so it should balance my 14ft 9/10 rod well.I have my 11/12 matched to my new 4pc 9ft 11wt TFO Ti(which I LOVE!) and it feels like a great combination.The 9/10 's balance my 2pc 10ft 9wt GLX and 4pc 9ft 10wt TFO Saltwater,while the 7/8's are on my various 7 and 8wt sticks.Overall,they make some excellent performing packages for low end prices.Can't complain about that!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Tony d

Thanks for your personal input re these Redington Reels.

Their reliability sounds great. I have a 9/10 for my Bob Meiser 9/10 two handed switch rod for the Delta and other rivers in California it works quite well. I use the Rio Striper 26 ft DC 350 Grain on it or the Rio Versa Tip 9/10 with about two hundred yards of 30# backing. My son uses a 9/10 as one of his main Striper fishing reels on the Delta and has caught many stripers over 30 pounds with it.

However, a 30# striper does not fight like a 30 pound king or a 15-20 pound Silver. Your report makes me feel fine re salmon fishing with one of these reels near the ocean where the fish are hot and strong.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hi Grampa Spey,if it's any consolation I know quite a few guys who fish for chinook salmon with NO drags on their reels,so the AS has more than enough for these fish.To be honest,all you need for any freshwater species is a spool that can be palmed.A nice drag is a bonus but is not a neccesity at all.Many people use old Hardy's and the Loop Tradition reels out here in BC for salmon and steelhead and these reels are more than up to the job.

One of my best freinds works in Terrace on the Skeena for the BC Fisheries and his job is largely catching steelhead and salmon for radio tagging.While most of the time he uses drift gear to pick up the biggest numbers of fish,he also uses fly gear whenever possible(I guess you can do what you want when you are in the middle of a remote system.LOL!).Believe it or not,the reels he still uses are Dragonfly 395's on his flyrods and Hardy Silex's on his drift rods.These reels have NO drags whatsoever(his Dragonfly use to but the chinooks burt it out) and he has caught thousands of salmon,including wild chinook over over 80lbs and 30lbs steelhead on both of these systems.Even though most people would never think about chasing monster chinook with such reels,he loves it and wouldn't use anything else!

As long as you can palm a reel,you can catch any salmon or steelhead that swims.If my freind can frequently land 60+lbs chinook on a Silex or burnt out Dragonfly,you will have NO problems landing them on the AS reels that's for sure.I wouldn't think twice about using them in the salt either.I guess if I was chasing 200lbs tarpon I would probably beef things up a bit and go with a big cork drag reel,but for most other conditions the AS will be fine.I have talked to several people who use these reels(and the AL models) for bones,permit and tarpon and they all seem to be fine with them(although a nice cork drag Tibor would certainly be considered a better option).

For the price,no other reel on the market can even come close to these.They are practicly giving them away these days so even if you don't really need one,they are well worth getting as a backup reel or spare for someone considering the low cost investment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts