1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hardy Line Question ?

Or anyone familiar with the hardy lines:

MJC,

I saw you carry the Hardy lines. I've been exploring different short belly lines trying to find the ones that suit my casting styles best. I was asking about some Quattros the other day.

I noticed on your page that there is a big difference in the grains between the Mach 1 and Mach 1 + lines. The Mach 1 seem awfully light for the line designations. Can you give some insight into these lines. I'm also wondering if the Mach 1 + is available in a multi-tip set up ? Do you have any personal experience with the lines ?

Unfortunately the Hardy site doesn't seem to have a lot of info. I can't even find grains and bell length.

Anyone else who has played with these lines please share.

Gillie

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Gillie...

The weights listed on my Hardy page came right from Hardy's top spey line designer.
The Mach 1 Plus 8/9 used to have a head length of 39'6" and was a great line for some of the "trout speys". As of last week I was informed by e-mail that the head lengths were now as posted 54' for the Mach 1 lines and 63' for the Mach 1 Plus lines. I think this may have something to do with complying with the new spey line standards.

My 2005 catalog does show a Mach 1 Multi Tip. They are supposed to be available in March 2005. From the info I have they appear to be the same lengths as the Mach 1 Plus. I can find no info on the various tips. They list @ $129.00.

I have used some of the Mach 1 lines and liked them a lot. I think they cast great. I think Ryan (Sparky) of Kaufmanns Bellvue, WA and Aaron both have more experience with these lines then I do. Maybe they will add some more info.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MJC,

The Mach 1 9/10 has 465 grains. Seems real light compared to my WC. Is it meant for a faster off the tip sort of cast ?

The Mach 1 plus seems to be more in line with WC / Delta type weights.

Gillie

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Hardy Heads

I have been using MAch1 and Hardy Salmon heads for a few years.
The weights on on my website listed on the lines.

When gearing up I take whatever the real weight value of my rod is, I say that 620-650 is an 8/9. To choose a Hardy Mach1 or Salmon Head choose one 2 line designations heavier than the real line weight of your rod. That is a Hardy Mach 1 9/10 is perfect on a true 7/8 like the CND Custom 7/8. The 10/11 is a perfect 8/9 like the Skagit or a Guidelines 9/10 which is really looking for 600 grains or so.

As always the numbers mean little. You have to know what the target weight for your rod is and go from there.

If you want to try one and see how it works on your rod I have them apooled up and ready to go. Take one and fish it for a couple of days and see how it casts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts