Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just happened.
While I have accumulated a nice selection of single handed rods over the years, I just dreaming about standing in the river and just CAST with a double hander...After my first attempts with a dh-rod I definitely got the virus...WHAT will happen now with my sh-rods?! :whoa:

And while my dh-rods not exactly for trout-fishing, my next dh-purchase will be something in the "ultralight" category.
I am thinking of the Sage 5120 or maybe the 6126(I will have a chance to try those), and some of the Meiser trouters... S2H126- 4/5/6 or 6/7 both 12,6'.

Could you just share your experiences about these rods with me?
(action, fishability, distance - whatever)
I would use the rods mainly on medium sized rivers, streams ( 15-30 m wide), nymphs, streamers ( trout size, but some bigger zonkers, too), wets, eventually dries. How these rods tolerate weighted leaders&nymphs?
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Another Suggestion

Would be Meiser's 11' 7" for 5/6. I use mine from a float tube and pontoon boat for trout. It will overhead nicely to 100' plus with a Cortland 444 WF 8. It does nicely with a Skagit style head for tips and floating. I have used and like the RIO SAS 8 for spey casting dry line. It is a great trout light steelhead rod.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Meiser 126 4/5/6

This rod is fantastic! Throws a Hardy Mach 1 Plus very nicely to 90 feet hand to fly on a single spey cast. The single hand Delta 8/9 line handles poly leaders nicely and is a great line for fishing in closer. If there's 1 area where this rod might fall a bit short, it's with a full length sink tip. I'm sure there's someone out there whose figured this problem out though. I'm thinking about getting another 8/9 delta and cutting it, using a single hand 8 weight tip. Should work. This rod is basically the like Sage 5120, but with backbone. I've fished several other 5 weight spey rods (including a couple other Meiser's) and the 126456 is the best, IMHO.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I haven't cast any of those rods, but I do have a 12'6" 6 wt rod and it is a bit heavy for trout. (I'm going to give it a go, but I'm not expecting a lot.)

Considering how much people here seem to LOVE their Meiser rods I would give him a call and talk about what you'd like. It sounds like he will build you just what you need.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Gary Anderson has two 12 foot rods - one labeled as a 3 wt and one labeled as a 4 wt though not sure they really classify as that light - not sure what the grain rating of a 4 wt 2 hander should be but this one does well with around 250 to 320 grains. I have only played with it for a short time but it is the next rod on my list - should be a great Klamath rod

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"I am thinking of the Sage 5120 or maybe the 6126"

I have owned the Sage 6126 for over a year, and it is my favorite summer rod for N California and SW Oregon. For me it performs best with the Mid Spey 7/8 with any tip or with the tip compensator and tips. It does a great job with the Skagit 450 and the Rio Sinking tips. The best performance with the Skagit is with the Rio 12' Sinking Fluroflex sinking tips. In windy conditions I use the Wind Cutter 678 with the upgrade
instead of the MS 7/8.

The 6126 is a little too much rod for trout and half pounders from 1 to 3 pounds. So I bought a 5120 from Gary Anderson. It is an incredible rod. For dry line work the MS 6/7 hums out there. See my previous post re Frankensteining my lines for this rod.

The big surprise for my 5120 is its ability to handle the Skagit 450 and the Rio 12' Fluroflex sinking tips.

My Wind Cutter 5/6 is basically worthless with my 5120.

If the ability to handle big flies, sinking tips in fast/deep water, go with the 6126.

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Trout Speys...

The Sage 6126 is the ticket for me...I fish it with 8/9/10 WC w/tips 1 and 2 removed and 5-10' of T-14(or with tip 1 for hoppers/wakers), and I mainly "skagit" cast with it. I would not say that this is a "dink" rod, but who targets little fish anyway! I landed a nice Skam the other day on this rod, and what a blast that was :D

PS: Thanks for the tip on the setup Chris...I owe you one this fall when we meet on the Thompson :smokin:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks folks,

Grampa', I have the T&T 1107, and there is a T&T 1307 waiting for me to pick it up..., so I think I can handle bigger flies with them. I just would like to have a lighter, but versatile rod for trout (15-25"), and cover usual fishing techniques.
I will definitely try those two Sages first, then I could decide to go for the Meiser, or not...mmm, I like the "search", too :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Skeg re Sage 6126 and 5120

skeg said:
Thanks folks,

Grampa', I have the T&T 1107, and there is a T&T 1307 waiting for me to pick it up..., so I think I can handle bigger flies with them. I just would like to have a lighter, but versatile rod for trout (15-25"), and cover usual fishing techniques.
I will definitely try those two Sages first, then I could decide to go for the Meiser, or not...mmm, I like the "search", too :rolleyes:
Isn't it great that we have all of these great lighter Spey rods to try, play with and to buy.

The 6126 as a friend called it is an intuitive rod. If you blow the setup of a cast, you and the rod can usually get the fly out. It doesn't seem to matter if you are a fast process caster or a slow one. It is a more powerful rod and probably falls between the two excellent T&T rods you mention.

The 5120 will do the same if you don't rush it. Just remember that with many of us, the Rio 5/6 Windcutter doesn't work with it. Go to Simon's charts on the Rio site to see all of the lines that work with it. If you would like, I can private mail you a Sage Contact to discuss by email both of these rods. It is an excellent trout rod for usual techniques, and yet it can do spey casts and Skagit casts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, all.
Grampa, about the e-mail: why not?!, Thanks in advance. It just makes the searching process sweeter... :rolleyes: In every case I will try the Sages, but at least I could prepare myself with some lines for them.
I just have to go FISHING now - or to some water to cast a bit, because it is the 3rd week passing by without any serious action... :Eyecrazy:

peter

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Skeg,

Since you like the T&T's, why not the T&T 1206? I say this knowing full well that a phone call or email to Meiser would also get you a light spey you'd be happy with.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
IMHO, the 6126 is a "light" steelhead rod, not really a trout rod, atleast for the average fish we chase here in West MI. I love the Loomis 13ft4in 5/6. I fish a WC 7/8/9 with the middle out. #20 pupae all the way to #2 bead headed wet sock, no problems either way. I have never messed with the Sage 5120, but have heard nothing but good. Nor have I played with Meisers trouters, but if their anything like Meisers other rods I have played with they have to be gems also.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
flytyer,
yes, I LOVE T&T rods single- and double handed, no matter.
But here, in Hungary - where slingin' whips is more common than slinging flies... :D - we don't have too much of fly-fishing tackle shops..., and while the only serious dealer is a friend of mine, I have the opportunity to try, and get Sage rods on a discount price. For T&T, I have to drive to Germany, and pay a lot more than the US-price.
But the Meisers are tickling me for sure. Ther are not too many Meiz-rods here, and the custom quality and service is enticing.
Jamey, with the Loomis the situation is the same like I mentioned about the Thomas-rods. It would be a much easier selection-process for me if I would have the opportunity to go into a shop, and try all the mentioned rods, for sure.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Peter

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Skeg,

I like many of the Meiser rods (especially his Highlander Series) as much as T&T's. Meisers build quality and cosmetics are second to none. I would also suppose that you could get a Meiser without paying a high duty fee since it is a custom rod that would be sent directly to you it seems to me it could be called a gift.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
re 6126

Jamey McLeod said:
IMHO, the 6126 is a "light" steelhead rod, not really a trout rod, atleast for the average fish we chase here in West MI. I love the Loomis 13ft4in 5/6. I fish a WC 7/8/9 with the middle out. #20 pupae all the way to #2 bead headed wet sock, no problems either way. I have never messed with the Sage 5120, but have heard nothing but good. Nor have I played with Meisers trouters, but if their anything like Meisers other rods I have played with they have to be gems also.
Where I fish in the summer time, I have more opportunities to catch a big trout 5+#'s than a summer steelhead in that weight. So in those waters the 6126 is an effective tool to get the big trout in and release them before their lactic acid builds up. As you noted, the 6126 for average trout is a little too much of a rod.

The Loomis rod you mentioned would be great for some of the bigger N California streams which aren't impacted with high summer flows due to water being released for farming use. I don't fish those streams, and fish streams like Putah Creek with high summer flows all summer. I'm afraid that a lighter and more limber rod in my low skill hands might not get the fish in fast enough in the summer time to prevent lactic acid build up, so I opted for the 5120.

A friend in June saw a husband/wife combo with the light Loomis rods on the wider parts of Hat Creek and the Upper Sac. They were getting the flies out and controlling them and hammered some really nice trout, and they got them in quick enough not to harm the fish. He will probably buy the Loomis rod for both fall and late spring/early summer fishing on those waters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts