Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching on this topic but cannot quite phrase it to get a near enough answer to my question. So, I have a set of 15' tips for an 8-wt, weight-forward versitip, as well as some t-14 in 10' and 15' lengths. Can any of these also be used on a 7 or 8 wt (or grain equivalent) Skagit line? I'm just getting into the swing with 2-handers, my feeling is they may be a little light for this use. But, the whole tip-grain-weight thing is just a little hazy to me. Thanks!

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
weigh your tips. rio 15' tips for 8wt spey weigh about 110gr. that said, with some adjustment, you can prob throw what you have. 15' of t-14 may not be much fun.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The T-14 for sure should be used with the skagit line, that's what they work best with. The other tips will also work with a skagit line if you want to fish lighter or shallower. It may not be ideal, but it will still work for you. I've fished 10 foot polyleaders of a skagit compact. You just need to take it real easy and remember that you may not be able to turn over bigger or heavier flies. Ideally the versitips work best with something longer and not as aggressive taper as your skagit, but they still will fish for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sink tip questions

Thanks for the replies! Just starting out I am, understandably, trying to save a little $ until my cash reserves are better. Later I"ll get some MOW tips, thinking perhaps a 2.5/7.5 float/sink and a 5/5 float/sink. Or would some other combo be better for the NU?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I meant 7.5 foot floating/2.5 foot sinking tip MOW, but maybe I was right the first time? As I figured, the versitips may be too light, as you point out.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
600 grains on a skagit head should have no problem with 15 feet of t-anything, but I would suggest 12 feet of t-14 and under. Those 15' DC, 130 grain-tips should be a breeze to cast.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
question about tips

Well, the t-14 is level, so I can nip it shorter 6" at a time until it plays nice, right-o?

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
In my opinion to many people over thinking this stuff. Try your 8wt tips and T-14 ;) Should be very do-able. Best thing about it, you already have them in hand. No further investment needed.

I've fished up to 600gr Skagits with quite a variety of lengths, weights, and materials with no more than very minor adjustment.

Fly size and weight can make a difference, Versi-Tips have a softer braided core in comparison to T-14 with mono core.

I don't know the NU (envious) but your 15' tips should offer lighter sink option with the Intermediate and type III

Give them a chance. Best of luck..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
question about tips

Yeah,I got lucky. I left AZ and traveled from Eureka to Astoria and back looking for work, and Roseburg is where I found it. I don't like that Roseburg is "the small town with the big city feel," but hey, it's less than an hour to the fly-only water. I hope to find lots of spey experts on-river willing to help me learn the switch from single-handed to two-handed casting; one reason I moved to OR is because I've found Oregonians to be the best!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts