Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to spey fishing and have a question regarding head combinations for my skagit lines. The rod I am using is a TFO 12 1/2 foot 8.wt with the Rio Skagit line. I have had success when fishing 5-15 foot T-15 heads. At this moment water temperatures in the Great Lakes region has being good however as temps drop would it be productive to get a couple big boy heads for my Skagit line? The river I primarily fish the Salmon River in NY is on the smaller side but swift moving.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Don't know much about the Great Lake streams - if they are small but even flow you might get away with the long tip but I think shorter tips work better for pocket water - 15 feet of T-14 should get down very quickly and even shorter tips should get down with proper line control and mending.

Also if actually skagit casting, your line is getting pretty long for a 12.5 foot rod - could get a bit frustrating trying to cast that long a tip

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rick I will take you word for it as it sounds like you have some excellent points. I am new as I said and will try throwing slack line etc into the swing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.