Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a rio skagit 650 line and I am using rio's 10wt 15' type 8 tip on it. My question is I want to go heavier. With all this rain and high rivers I want a tip that will get down quicker than the type 8. I'm pretty new to spey fishing and dont know what else is out there.

thank you!:hihi:

chris:razz:

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
Cheeters

If you are using the Rio Cheaters you can try to use the intermediate Sheeters they will help you gain a bit of added depth. If you dont have those you can try t-14 will also has a faster sink rate then a type 8 tip. if al else fails try to throw a few upstream mends in there too.
Rambo

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I believe some Rio T-14 will serve you well. 14grns per foot and 8"-9" per second sink rate. A 30' coil sells for $14.95

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
In my experience, T-14 seems to sink only slightly faster than Type 8 tips, if at all. As indicated above, consider heavier flies, a cheater, or a longer tip to keep the fly down. T-14 is cheap but it weighs a ton, and your rod might buck the added weight if you go entirely to T-14 tips.

Consider making a 5' T-14 cheater for yourself, that would be a really cheap way to go. If you don't want extra loops in the line, then the Airflo Custom Cut 10 wt tip will give you a longer (20') tip without much added weight.

but reallly ... in heavy water fish are often lazy, so consider using your current setup and concentating on softer water along the edges

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I agree with SSpey, I would be inclined to focus on the softer water where the fish will go to get out of the heavy flow. In many cases I bet the type 8 set-up you are using would be too much for where the fish are sitting!

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
'tip has it. In high dirty water conditions the fish will more then likely be holding close to shore in the soft seams. No need to go really deep. On one famous run on the Skagit during high dirty water conditions you will find the fish holding in the willows in about 2 or 3 feet of water. A floating line might work best here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I understand that steelheading has a different approach to salmon fishing but you may want to consider using a wetcel 4 or similiar to get deep.

·
Registered
445 Posts
..............I agree with SSpey,T-14 and a type 8 tip sink at the same rate,regardless of the weight of the type 8 tip. The advantage of T-14 is that you can make a tip any length that you want and can cast. AirFlo makes the Custom Cut Tips that will sink at a faster rate than T-14.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Advantage to T-14

is that it is a little larger diameter than Type 8 tips, so it turns over big flies a little better. It probably is best in the salmon arena where the fish are in deep faster water. An acquaintance in BC buys T-14 by the 100 foot spool. As tip points out, you don' need it for steelhead.

Ed Ward makes some nice sink tips with various lengths of T-14 attached to floating 11 or 12 wt line to make tips that have the same weight, length and casting characteristics, but sink to different depths. 10 ft T-14 and 8 ft T-14 + 2 ft 12 st floating, 6 ft T-14 + 4 ft 12 wt floating , etc.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I agree with all said. If you REALLY need to get down, Airflo makes 7 and 10 foot (i think) braided salmon leaders that are braided mono dipped in tungsten. sinks at 13 inches per second. put that on an intermediate cheater or a sink tipand you'll get down.
you might also break you shoulder casting it and yarding it up from the depths.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also have an 8wt spey rod lined with a 8/9/10 windcutter tip system. It came with a sink tip compisator. I've never used this and am not sure what it's for. Do I use it on it's own? do i atach the sink tips to it? can it be used on a skagit line?

Thanks everybody!
cb

By the way...it's raining so much here in Portland that i dont think I'll get to fish again till Feb with all the river blowing there banks. I have signed up for a spey class this sat at the flyshop down the street from me but i'll bet it will be canceled.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
You can use the sinktip compensator in place of tip #2. It will help you get and stay a little deeper. If your rod requires skagit cheaters there will be a 5' and 10' compensator in the package along with the same lengths in floating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts