Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a bit confused about what rhea feathers actually look like. from some of the pictures on this site, and a few others (like irish angler) i would get the impression that rhea looks alot like ostrich. however i have also seen a feather that i was told was rhea, but it looked more like pheasant center tail sections with the exception that the segments where about 2-3 times as long as ringneck. so the question is: are these actually 2 different types of rhea feather, or was somebody "full of it"? also, if in fact there ARE 2 different types of rhea, where can i get some of each?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Jack Cook at IrishAngler.com has rhea. At least he has the kind you want for intruders, prawns etc. That particular version is thin and somewhat akin to heron in appearance and the fibers are 5-6 inches long.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Sort of

Rhea does look a lot like Ostrich but the diameteerr of the fibe ris a bit smaller and not as fuzzy. The fibers are also stiffer which is what makes it look so good in the water compared to Ostrich. And yes, I have lots of cool colors in stock and ready for big flies.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
There are two different rhea lengths you can get. The smallest is the 6-10" and longer which Aaron carries is the 12-24".

Check you PM.

Vinnie

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you all for your replies. this helps alot. somewhere in the last 15 or so years i "missed the bus" when it came to new materials. perhaps soon i will be using something more than buggers and marabou speys/spiders to catch steelhead and salmon with my fly rods.

btw: that HUGE waddington prawn there on www.irishangler.com is beautifull!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts