Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been following the buzz too closely about the new "Glass" spey and switch rods being developed.

I grew up fishing glass rods in the 1960's & 1970's but when the first graphite rods came on the scene I couldn't wait to own one because how much lighter they were!

So my question is: Are these new "glass" rods heavy like in the old days or has manufacturing techniques improved to the point where they weigh the same as a graphite rod of the same length??

·
Registered
241 Posts
Glass

Glass is fun. Their casting tempo has a slower pace, with great load feel and awesome leader turnover. Landing fish is a hoot. Rods are generally heavier then graphite. Like cane rods, I find that the key is getting a good rod-reel balance.

I tried the Echo rods this last fall at the Clave. They were very comfortable in hand and much lighter then I expected. I really enjoyed the Dh7wt 12'9" and sw7wt 11'. Both were under $250.

I also tired a full glass rod from Pennsylvania based maker Seele fly rods. This rod was their DH 12'7" 8wt. It was a beast of rod in hand but balanced well. A serious fishing stick. I would recomend it to anyone who loves glass and wants a high performance Glass Spey rod.

Glass is not for everyone, but everyone should give them a go at least once, you might be surprised.

·
Registered
241 Posts
glass

Have heard mixed things on the epics, but they're pricey.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I understand they're real beasts of glass rods, more akin to graphite than glass.
A report I read on the Fibreglass Manifesto, proposed that they can handle wind, cast long, tame salt pelagics - nothing like any glass you've ever seen.
A glass nut friend of mine with a truckload of vintage and new glass was so impressed than he became a UK dealer.
Cheers,
S

·
Registered
579 Posts
I haven't been following the buzz too closely about the new "Glass" spey and switch rods being developed.

I grew up fishing glass rods in the 1960's & 1970's but when the first graphite rods came on the scene I couldn't wait to own one because how much lighter they were!

So my question is: Are these new "glass" rods heavy like in the old days or has manufacturing techniques improved to the point where they weigh the same as a graphite rod of the same length??
Paul they are heavier in hand than the DH model but not as heavy as one would expect a glass rod to be. You're more than welcome to try mine my next trip up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts