Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my inhability to find a ten foot spey blank that would let me single and double hand with equal ease, I started thinking of the problem from the other end-- looking for a trout rod that would work effectively as a two hander when the situation called for it, say, swinging a streamer for big trout or dollys. So what qualities should I look for in the blank?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hey BeBop,

Check in with Todd Scharff, owner of the "Anglers Arms".

8060 Coleman in Mission B.C. 604-814-2556

Heck of a good guy, and an awesome angler.

He'll have some good feedback on this type of rod.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
are you sold on 10 ft?

I see sage 11'3" six weights for sale now and again. Would be easy to tear one down and rebuild as a two hander. It's a nice one handed spey caster, and as long as you didn't put too much power with the bottom hand it might be the ticket, if you can stand the extra foot.

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Al,
I think that a good part of what contributes to a blank around 10 feet working for you in single and double hand situations is:

1) The obvious handle configuration - so you can hold it however and there isn't so much extra cork it makes single handing a chore with respect to weight or awkwardness.

2) More importantly, you have a longer bellied weight forward type line or a double taper line. Here is why I believe this.
I have an SA WF (Longer belly WF though - I think 58-62 feet to the back of the rear taper?) Steelhead Taper. This line casts quite well on my 6 wt. 10 foot Sage RPL+ when I am doing single handed spey casts. It particular does the snake roll on small streams well out to about 60 feet or so. I also have a clear intermediate SA, now discontinued but supposedly going to be replaced with something along the lines of a "west coast taper," Striper taper. While the striper taper is a full intermediate line which will influence how it casts somewhat to that of my floating line mentioned above, Still, I have tried casting it's short compact weight forward head with spey casts and it doesn't work well at all. Part of this I feel is becuase of the short compact head, and part of it also has to do with the short rear taper as well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sage 11,3"

These rods were the best over the front lake trout rods ever made .
Wish i could find one at a price i could afford .

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
check the for sale by owner section on the forum :hehe: And no it isn't mine

·
Registered
134 Posts
I too would recommend the Sage 6113-2, it is an excellent single handed spey casting rod. I have toyed with the idea of replacing the reel seat on my one with a down locking reel seat which can accept a six inch screw in extension to give me the option of using it either one or two handed.
I have used this rod for the last 4 seasons, until the middle of this season with a Lee Wulff triangle taper 6/7 line which suits it very well although it struggles with larger flies or sinking tips. When the triangle taper line eventually wore out this season I tried a Michael Evans 6/8 twin line on the rod, this has been a revalation, it will turn over much larger flies will handle 5 feet polyleaders and casts effortlessly and I would thouroughly recommend this line for anyone who owns this particular rod.

Graham Ritchie

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would suggest a Sage 6110-4XP blank(designed for lake fishing in the UK) and build it up as a Twohander.It makes a delightfull 6/7 wt. 11 ft.Spey rod that's VERY light and being 4 piece ,breaks down and fits anywhere . I've posted on another thread ,about the qualities of this setup. The only thing I could add is that it could be described as a very much lighter Sage 7136 that will handle a 6/7 wt line with a bit more authority. I WOULD,howvwe like to get itin the hands of an expert caster(I've done 5 andnoneofus are world class:-O ) and get a pro's opinion !!
Cheers
Brian

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Nobuo has a line of single/double rods called the "CND Tracker Series". He had them in Denver for exhibit. Folks would pick them up and try it either overhand and/or spey and really liked it. Only a few tried it both ways, some didn't know it was both!

They are currently not available in North America but may be sold here eventually.

·
Banned
103 Posts
I second Salar-1

The Sage XP series rods are very nice and have the tip action needed to throw long lines, as well as the bend to roll cast considerable distances (70', give or take). Still, you should cast as many as possible before you decide.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts