Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

My first time out last week and was swinging a very glassy pool with a full floating line. I caught my fish :) but watched the swing and the disturbance that my tip and end loops made in the film. I am using a Gaelforce 63' 8/9 spey line.

I could use an intermediate tip (6g or 90gn) and get under the film, but do not wish to go deep for summer Atlantic Salmon. I figure I could use a long hover or intermediate polyleader which might give up a few grains but not affect casting. However do any know of any clear or camo spey tips? I have Rio replacement tips with the grey intermediate material which will likely be deployed.

On technique: I think I read from other Gaspe fishers that this was common to use in the summer, to get a very quiet swing under the film. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Might not want to use hover, as it barely sinks - in fact, that's what I use to fish dries - makes a little bit stickier anchor than a floating poly.

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
1,734 Posts
I use Orvis (SA) clear intermediate poly leaders. They work nicely and cast as they should on a Gaelforce 63 and 54.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Intermediate polyleaders work, but I'm finding it more interesting to experiment with my fluorocarbon tapered leaders. Fifteen feet or more of fluorocarbon pulls even a light wire hook down to respectable depths.

There were (and I hope, still are) a couple of Pacific NW'erners who did extensive research on sink rates of various lines and leaders. The results are probably still online... Perhaps I'll spend my windfall profits from Lineapaluza to hire an unemployed scuba diver with a plastic tablet and grease pencil to sit on a river bed, holding a long, marked pole vertical while I swing various line, leader, and hook combinations against the pole... There might be a book in it.🤓

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
If you are set on a “slime line” style maybe you can find an old model intermediate Rio replacement tip. Those were clear. I think a steelhead weight (any length) polyleader would be fine, maybe even better casting on an equalizer. I think you may still want an intermediate, not a hover. When swinging an intermediate will get you just below the surface - just inches to a foot in most cases. Hovers are great in certain circumstances in still (or almost still) water, but with the added tension of the swing you may get pulled right to the surface. But I guess try them both. As pointed out above mono leaders, regular and fluorocarbon, ARE in effect intermediates as well.

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
594 Posts
If you are set on a “slime line” style maybe you can find an old model intermediate Rio replacement tip. Those were clear. I think a steelhead weight (any length) polyleader would be fine, maybe even better casting on an equalizer. I think you may still want an intermediate, not a hover. When swinging an intermediate will get you just below the surface - just inches to a foot in most cases. Hovers are great in certain circumstances in still (or almost still) water, but with the added tension of the swing you may get pulled right to the surface. But I guess try them both. As pointed out above mono leaders, regular and fluorocarbon, ARE in effect intermediates as well.
Hi Michael,
Both Hover and Intermediate poly heads would work for you. I was using a Hardy 9 wt Mach II clear Intermediate 65 foot spey line which put my fly, a size 6 Why Not, 8 to 10 inches under the surface, with the lower slower flows of mid July, when I rose a salmon on the upper section of Home Pool at the Restigouche River Lodge last week. You may have to switch or roll cast the line and the fly to the surface, after fishing out the dangle, to ensure a proper anchor placement depending on the downstream current. I also use this subsurface presentation with silk line, leaving the last 10 to 30 feet of the tip ungreased. This technique also provides added line drag for a faster swing, which is an additional trigger for salmon when the water temps are above 55 degrees.
Regards.....Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts