Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying rod which model is "Fr18010/11-3 Spey" (G-Loomis GL3 Spey 15" 10-11)

I tried to search if there is discussions about this rod, but I didn't find anything. Only discussions were about normal GL3 rods, but this is not the same rod. (this is Spey model)

Can somebody tell me something about this rod?
When it has been in markets and what kind of performance I can find from it? What is recommended line weight for it?

What is good line for this rod? (RIO Windcutter?)

So everything information about this rod is wellcome, because I can not find anything about it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Velsku

Do you KNOW that it differs from normal GL3? Have you wiggled it with a normal one side by side?

I'm just asking since on the other side of the Atlantic the seem to use term "spey" instead of "2-hander" or similar.

For example GLoomis web site refers to the FR1861112-3 as you can read from the quote underneath:

Our steelhead and salmon fly rods start at #7 line weight and go all the way up to the 11/12 weight spey rod.
and the old web page said this it think (quoted from an internet shop):
...These rods are balanced to special two-handed fly lines, often called Spey lines, which are dual size rated (#8/9, #9/10, etc.). Heavier than standard weight-forward lines, Spey lines have very long-belly tapers to assist in Spey casting techniques...
The first means that all 2-handers are spey rods and the latter that the line rating has been done according to spey lines and not according the regular AFTM rating.

Nice weather today in Helsinki. If it only wasn't -10 celsius...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is different rod that common GL3 and it has "slow" spey action.

One guy sent pm. to me and told that GL3 Spey has not been in G-Loomis's production since ~1998 ( the production has ended about five years ago)

He also told me that am I interested to order CND's rod. CND's are quite unknown for me, but from here I have readed a lot of good things from them.

It also looks like CND's expert series is almost same price (a little more expensives) than this GL3 Spey.

So now I'm thinking about which rod to buy. CND (expert series or more expensives series) or this GL3 Spey...

What are "you" thinking of this? Is it better to not to buy 15" GL3 Spey and put money to CND's +15" spey rod?

Thanks for all information.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Big flys buy it

Espially if it is the old IMX model ,Ihave one and its superb with big flys and in my case DT #11 lines ,going to try a mastery tip line on it this week if I like it i'll come back otherwise stay DT and old fashioned .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not IMX... I have a photo of that rod and it contais following texts:

G-Loomis

FR18010/11-3 SPEY

15' #10/11 LINE

GL3

So it IS GL3 Spey ;)

- Velsku

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
G. Loomis created a confusing problem by having two distinct rods/blanks in this GL-3 series; that is, with the same numbers, but distinctly different actions. One, with, if I remember, a 5.5/64" tip, had a fairly fast action, and wasn't too good with sinking tips. The other, with "Spey" added to the title, had a 6.5/64" tip and a slower action than many of you have experienced; like a B&W Bruce, or a big Sage 9140-4 "brownie". I built a rod on this slower blank and used it for several winter/spring seasons. It's no powerhouse, but it's a very comfortable, light-for-its-size rod. Mine uses a DT11 or a Cortland 444 spey DT10/11F.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok. Got to admit I was wrong. If just would have known that there is that Spey-text on it...

I have no experience with the spey model. Anyway, I wouldn't want to buy a(n expensive) rod without testing it first. Damn shame that we have so small market here in Finland and thus not much of those try racks...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The life is for taking risks, but minimizing the risks is for life =)

But, as I said one finnish guy sent private message to me and told that they are doing group order from USA (they are ordering CND rods). So he asked that am I interested to participate to that order... And I am.

Now I have founded a lot of good comments about CND's but not any of GL3 spey. So I think it is lower risk to order almost same priced new CND...

The biggest problem now is which CND rod to choose? (yes, it is risky to buy new rod without testing it, but If I do not like it I can sell it)

I think that Expert or Custom series are best for me because of the prices and they are promoted to have slower actions.

I am beginner of speying, my old rod were too fast to spey and I did not like to play with it when fish was on. So I decided to learn to spey, because speying looks also great, you do not need to play with runninglines (as if you use short belly WF or shooting heads) and it offers possibility to catch places that has not big backyards... And I think spey rods will be more comfortable when fish is on, because they have softer action.

So Is there good advices which one to choose and why? (yes it have to be at least 15' long)
CND Expert 15' 10/11 NF-1510
or
CND Custom 15' 10/11 CNF-1510SP

There are not much info about 15' CND's, but both series (expert and custom) are commented to be really good rods.

- Velsku

1 - 9 of 9 Posts