Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for my first Spey Rod and would like some advice on brand names, and rod actions. I will be fishing waters like the Stilliguamish, Skagit, and Sauk. I can't afford to pay too much $ because im a poor college student. If anyone has a used spey for sale please contact me, if its not too expensive. I can't wait to be fishing my home waters with a new toy, thank you for your time.

Rob Zelk

PS - I'm possibly considering building my own, but i've heard it's about the same price as a new rod in the end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Depends..

Codfather,

Building your own can be much less expensive depending on the grade of components used. Example: Struble Reel Seat vs Pac Bay. By using Pac Bay you could save $40 bucks. Another $$ Saver is to use Chrome Snake guides instead of Titanium. As far as Blanks are conscerned try going to a Fly Fishing Show or check the Internet for Closeouts and Specials. I picked up a 14ft 8/9 Diamondback blank for under $200. You can save on the cork if you don't mind using a lesser grade. I think you could build a rod for a little over $300 if you shop around, maybe even less.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The rivers you mention can use a substantial wand, say, a 15-foot 10/ll; except for the upper North Stilly in late summer, which can be fished handily with a trout rod. You can save roughly 50% by building a rod, and whatever its flaws, it'll feel like a part of you. Or shop carefully. Somebody got a fine 16' Hardy graphite on eBay the other day for not much more than $200.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Rob

I have a Sage 10150-4 (15ft 10wt) that is for sale. I have used it on the Sauk a couple times and on the penninsula a bit also. Probably sell it for around 250 let me know if your interested
[email protected]

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Spey Rod

If you roll your own and then break it, the mfg will usually replace the broken section and you will have to re wrap it. If you buy a used factery rod and are so unfortunate to break it, the mfg will usually replace the broken section with a finished (wrapped and varnished) section. Even though you bought it used and probably did not get a blank warranty card with it, it doesn't seem to matter.

With that in mind also consider St. Croix as well as Cabellas. And anything else that comes along.

JD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts