Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Im planning to purchase my 3rd Spey rod, and I am a bit overwhelmed with options as there seem to be new rods popping up left and right day and night!

I know I want a 7# and 13'-14' is ok.

I've been looking at a 7# Scott 4pc Spey, but Ive never actually casted one of these. Does anyone have any experiece with Scott rods, and specifically their MED-Fast action rods?

Does anyone know a comparable rod in the 500-600 range. Im really looking for the most bang for my buck less the poor quality materials used in some of the lower end rods.

I like a fast med-fast action, light weight, and 3 pc would be ok, but Id rather have 4..

Im really looking for some real experience feedback on what my best options might be on this type of rod length and weight.

Does anyone know where I can buy used rods? Please contact me if you are selling a used rod that matched my criteria. I think I could probably sace a few dollars buying used.

Merry New Years!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
First

you need to give us an idea of what you will be using the rod for, and what line(s) you want to use. Personally, I would be reluctant to purchase a rod that I had not casted, unless it was from a line I was very familiar with.

Get to a speyclave and cast a number of rods and lines to find out what works well for you.

As far as used, some great options come up on the "for sale" section of this board. For example there was recently a Burkheimer 81393 for about half price and some good deals on T&Ts. Also, do not discount some of the older models, newer is not necessarily better.

Poppy at Red Shed and Aaron at River Run Anglers are sponsors and have used tackle and often know someone who is wanting to sell a rod that might be of interest. They are great to do business with.

·
Registered
646 Posts
McFly,
I second Ted's opinion in regards to not buying anything before you have a chance to cast it, or better yet, fish it.

Also, take advantage of opportunities like the Red Shed's test drive program and River Run Anglers' day on the river. If you can wait until May, head to the Sandy River Spey Clave and cast rod and line combinations until your heart's content (not to mention have a great time and learn a ton)!

RickJ has a lot of Scott time on the water and might be able to offer his opinion on the specific model you're interested in.

There are lots of great offerings in your price range in the line and length category you're interested in both new and used.

Take care,
Chris

·
loco alto!
3,251 Posts
t_richerzhagen said:
As far as used, some great options come up on the "for sale" section of this board. For example there was recently a Burkheimer 81393 for about half price

:chuckle: :chuckle: that rod was available for all of 4 minutes before it got snatched up

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Steve

did you miss out? You need to keep up with what what comes up. That rod was a great deal, so whoever saw it first got a great opportunity. I think I was number 4 in line.

·
JD
3,648 Posts
Well,,,,if you are in Southern Oregon

There is Meiser, Anderson & Beula. Otherwise, Aaron's day on the river. Or wait for the Sandy Clave. Or Poppy. Amazing what a phone call can do for you.
Oh Yeah, then there is this guy who's iinitials are FAE. He has every rod known to man.:whoa:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
As others have said, I would not buy until you try but my hands down favorite rod is the Scott ARC 1287 - but it is pricy and a 3 piece - listed as medium fast action but a very smooth casting rod - I have used the original 7 wt xlt, the 7 wt Delta Long and delta and the RIO skagit 550 and it handles all lines very well. It will easily throw heavy stuff with the Skagit set up.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
McFly,

All the rods mentioned are good ones - you might consider the CND 13' 6/7/8 Black Spey. It retails at around $500, it is a 4 piece and is IM 8 graphite. You can find out more here http://www.cndspeyusa.com/Pages/blackspey.html

I too advocate trying before buying, get to some claves or contact Mike at Redshed for a "try rod".

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
I Heard That!

JDJones said:
There is Meiser, Anderson & Beula. Otherwise, Aaron's day on the river. Or wait for the Sandy Clave. Or Poppy. Amazing what a phone call can do for you.
Oh Yeah, then there is this guy who's iinitials are FAE. He has every rod known to man.:whoa:
Not every rod, but I do have a new 16' Meis ..... :lildevl:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions.

Im narrowing my decision down to the original Scott I was looking at and the new Z-Axis by Sage.

Has anyone cast a Z-Axis 7wgt Skagit?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im also looking at the St Croix Legend 7/8 and 6/7 wgt.

Anyone care to share some feedback from experience on these?

·
Recently Spey'd
816 Posts
McFly said:
Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions.

Im narrowing my decision down to the original Scott I was looking at and the new Z-Axis by Sage.

Has anyone cast a Z-Axis 7wgt Skagit?
If you're looking in the price range of the Z-axis, check out the Winston BII-X 13'3" 7\8 which in my opinion is more of a 7 - 7.5 weight.
Also check out the Meiser FES 13678 & of course the previously mentioned Burkie 8139-3.

Scott, Cnd, Gloomis Etc...So many great choices out there now.:Eyecrazy:
Hard to go wrong.:smokin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.