Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone give me some advice on the best way to pull sink tips out of the water. Ok, let me explain. I went down to the river last night I had my 9140 with the windcutter 8/9/10 which has the accelerator upgrade. The head is 69' and I had about 70' out through the guides. I was using a type 6 head with a heavy fly.

I can cast it just fine, but I have a heck of a time getting the head out of the water before I setup my cast. I would say it takes 3 or 4 roll casts for me to bring the head up, so that i can start my cast.

There has to be a better way, I got tired very quickly!!! What other methods work well for this.

-Doug

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gee, Doug, I just posted the method I now use - see, What Do you call it? thread. I have found the "spiral single" provides an effective and far more effortless way to lift these sinktips. If you are really stuck deep, a series of these spirals before the presentation end of the cast works very nicely, and looks unbelievably cool!:smokin:

What say you, Dana, to a video on this maneuver?

ws

·
Registered
200 Posts
A Simple Suggestion?

Get rid of that "Upgrade" for tips - you're probably overloading the rod. The 9140 -might- be able to hande the upgrade with a floating tip, but with the Type 6 sinker and heavy fly there are way too many grains out past the tiptop.

My .02,

DS

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
I have the 8/9/10 with the upgrade and I do just fine with one roll cast followed by a snake roll. You might try pulling a foot or so of the rear taper into the tip. I am using a St. Croix 14' which is very simular to you 9140.

Rich

·
Registered
200 Posts
Beg to differ . .

but the 9140-4 is a much softer rod than the St Croix 14' 9wt. The St Croix is similar to the old 9140-3 (more of a 9/10wt). I'm assuming Doug doesn't have that rod, as it hasn't been sold for the last couple years.

With the St Croix, you're underlining with an 8-9-10 WC but with the upgrade it converts it to about a 9-10 Accelerator which is probably perfect for that rod.

There's a certain amount of user-based preference in line wieghting for spey rods - some like the "A" lighter lines, others like the "B" heavier ones (Simon Gawesworth's classifications taken from Rio's website).

But I'm guessing if you measured the grains you have in the head, upgrade, and type 6 tip you'd probably find you have significantly more weight out there than even the "B" line ratings for that rod.

So if you're determined to continue using this setup, I suggest you experiment with stripping in line (probably a lot more than 1') till you can comfortably pick up the remaining floating head and tip.

Good Luck!

DS

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
In my experience, DS is right about the WC with upgrade overloading the 9140. If you have an older 9140, the old brown blank as opposed to the newer green or the very new brown, this is especially true.

I had the old model and fished the WC with a beta version of the upgrade on it. I made it work with a floater but for tips, I was forced to strip in 10+' of head so the gain was minimal. For what its worth, this set-up worked much better on the 10150-4 but even then, with a heavier tip, overloaded the rod.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys,
I agree with what your saying. BTW, I have the green blank 9140. The only reason I tried this out is that got tired of stripping line when fishing the windcutter. I do have a midspey on my 7136 green blank and have been using the type 6 with it as well. It doesn't feel like it overloads the rod at all and I can pull the tip out easy. Maybe I should just get a midspey for my 9140.

Thanks,
Doug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts