Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I have only fished for them once around Cape Cod but we did very well on flies just like you have there but quite thin. Didn't need to have much profile as the fish we were imitating is long and slim. Length looks just great and good selection of materials. So you have a fine fly there.
Heard population is coming back. You'll have a blast
Best
Loren

·
Registered
247 Posts
Flatwing Herring Tube Fly

I'm tying daily and counting the weeks before the striper migration repopulates the coast and marshes around Boston. Herring scouts have been seen in the estuaries so we can hope that the spawning run will continue to grow. If the last two years of the amazing 2011 year class is any indication of what to expect this year we should have loads of shorts to keep us entertained and a nice mix of mature stipers to pull our drags. We are probably thinking along the same lines about what to put on the menu. Here is my flatwing herring tube fly fleshed out with platinum fox tail guard hairs ready for its snelled 2/0 inline circle hook.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm tying daily and counting the weeks before the striper migration repopulates the coast and marshes around Boston. Herring scouts have been seen in the estuaries so we can hope that the spawning run will continue to grow. If the last two years of the amazing 2011 year class is any indication of what to expect this year we should have loads of shorts to keep us entertained and a nice mix of mature stipers to pull our drags. We are probably thinking along the same lines about what to put on the menu. Here is my flatwing herring tube fly fleshed out with platinum fox tail guard hairs ready for its snelled 2/0 inline circle hook.
Looks great!

·
Registered
921 Posts
hey tom , nice fly . i'm headed back to rockport , ma this summer for another shot at the stripers . i like tying on tubes . how are you running the hook in flies like that ? i have some concerns about fouling . is that a named fly , or something of your own design ?
thanks , jim

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am originally from Belmont MA and spent my childhood and off and on up to 6 years ago fishing up there and a lot in Plymouth. That tube fly will definitely work great there. My family also lives in Plymouth MA on the other side of the pond in front of White Horse Beach. I used to love fishing at the Pilgrim Power Plant till they closed it down after 9/11. The outflow was great for swinging flies at. If you ever get the chance and want to try some place outside MA, then take a trip down to Tiverton RI and fish the Bays there. There is some fantastic fishing there and lots of it is wading friendly. Post some pics when you catch some Stripers with the tube fly please.

Reactions: pork

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi Jim,

This fly was inspired by a local tyer name Joe Cordeiro who is credited with developing the flat wing tying technique. I have substituted arctic fox and dyed platinum fox for bucktail to get even more supple, lifelike motion. Unlike Joe, I tye on tubes and used his flatwing technique on 1/8" OD HMH rigid tubing with a stub of HMH junction tubing. The underlying tube is 18 mm long so the hook is tucked up pretty close to the head. So far, it does not seem to foul the tail very frequently. This might look like a heavy fly but in fact it weighs around 18 gr with the cone head. It is more sparse than it appears in the photo so it does not hold much water making it pretty easy to pick up and cast.

I haven't been up to Rockport to fish probably because we have the same types of boulder fields and offshore granite ledges closer to home along the South Shore. In June, the stripers congregate in the nearshore boulder fields to feast on moulting lobsters and crabs.

Hi Ricky,

Pilgrim Plant is still putting out warm water and it is a magnet for early season stripers and bluefish all summer. They refueled it last year but it is scheduled for closure this year when the fuel is exhausted. This plant produces 20% of Massachusetts' electrical power and the plans to replace that power are currently in shambles.

I've been thinking about some trips down to RI. It is a little over an hour from home. It is hard to leave my home water since the fishing is so good here.

Here is a partial catch record from last year. These are all fish from two places I was exploring in May and June. I was testing if adding a stinger hook made any difference in my catch. As you can see, I used the same fly for most of these fish (Lefty's Deceiver) and about 50% of my hookups where on the stinger. The problem is that even in a relatively short fly, the stinger tends to get wrapped up with the tail from time to time. If synthetic tying materials are used the problem is far worse than flies made of fur and feathers.

·
Registered
921 Posts
hey tom ,
thanks for the info . here are some of the striper flies i've been working on . waiting on a few materials to finish a couple of them . i really dig steve coulton's website , "current seams " and the the kenny abrames . rich murphy's flies and book are great as well .
i didn't have the salt hackles , so i bought a bugger pack and dyed some up .
good luck with the bass !
thanks , jim

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great looking flies by all of you! Good to see that there’s some other Flatwings freaks on this board. I’m looking forward to swinging some for stripers on the Chattahoochee this summer. Haven’t tried tube fly versions but look forward to it with your inspiration. Steve Culton, Kenny Abrams and Joe Cordeiro are all great sources of information for tying Flatwings. Kenny’s books are awesome too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
sweet fly, where'd you find the blue craft fur? i've never cut off a piece that long in my bag

·
Registered
189 Posts
hey tom ,
thanks for the info . here are some of the striper flies i've been working on . waiting on a few materials to finish a couple of them . i really dig steve coulton's website , "current seams " and the the kenny abrames . rich murphy's flies and book are great as well .
i didn't have the salt hackles , so i bought a bugger pack and dyed some up .
good luck with the bass !
thanks , jim
Really nice Conomo Special in the foreground.

Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.