Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I had the very great pleasure to spend a day out with JD Love on the Olympic Peninsula this week. Shirtsleeves weather, no rain, and one of those mysterious rod pulled into the water followed by nothing hits....

Borrowed and cast a 12'6 8 wt (I think) prototype from Sage with the body of a 9/10/11 windcutter and a Rio 15ft type 8 tip. Large shank fly. Rocket launcher.

I don't think this was the 8126 currently available. This model had a specialized bottom handle clearly designed for those who cast with the 'OK' sign finger approach (I think that makes sense).

Did not like the handle. LOVED the rod, which has a pretty fast action, plenty of power in the butt section. Tight, effortless loops.

Can anyone shed any light on what it is/if it is going into production?

All best,

Will

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Will,

As for the above rod, I don't have a clue. BUT, Sage's Euro rods are 2 generations of graphite old, no longer regarded as the cream of the crop, and I can't imagine they are selling like hotcakes. They (In my opinion) are past their prime. It wouldn't shock me to see a redesign or makeover in the Fall, but that is PURELY SPECULATION on my part. But it would seem like the prudent thing to do.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I saw an interesting hybrid on a swedish tackle dealer site the other week. A two-hander made fron a GSH 4120 spinning rod blank. It's only 12 foot long and a 12-13wt. Able to handle up to 60grams of line. They say it will under-hand cast about 30 meters easily.

·
Banned
103 Posts
I would imagine that Sage is trying to move into the fast-action rod market that T & T and a few others are currently in control of. I'll be interested to hear the comparison between this Sage rod and the 1208-4 that I use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts