Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta ask this question.....I acquired a 3500D/3600D and a spool each. I like the overall size of the 3500D and we know it's limited for spool line volume/ie. 100-150 yds backing plus 7/8/9 line etc at best. I compared spool geometry with my AS11/12 spools to see what volume is desirable at minimum (11/12's have ample room for my 7/8/9 lines).

The 3500D has a spool ID of 2.2" and lots of center room available to reduce the ID on a new billet custom spool to allow improved line capacity. I ran the numbers to see what's required to achieve same capacity as my AS11/12's and then some and geometry of 3500D frame/central drag region appears to have room for a custom spool to fit up fine.

I've got excellent CNC machining contacts to produce an item of top quality to fit into present Sage quality.

Before I get too keen about this figured I'd ask this very knowledgeable group their thoughts on this. Could making such a smaller ID compatible spool expose me to any lawsuits from Sage? I doubt it as it's a different piece/not direct copy assuming their 3500D spool is patented or similar, anyone knowledgeable on this?

Beyond legal issues curious on any other thoughts.....I don't have experience to know if 3500D drag is adequate for what I'd expect from it? Any reason Sage never made this reel with a spool option for greater capacity?

3500D spools are easier available on the market discounted whereas 3600D spools are not.....and I prefer the diameter on 3500d of 4-3/8's vs. 3600D 4-5/8's but I'm still very rookiesh on spey issues/preferences not having had much time on the water practising let alone fishing yet. (but I very much enjoy manufacturing/new application challenges).

Looking forward to any thoughts,

Thanks,

Happy Gilmore

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i'd say

if it's CNC machining,,,run a batch of prototypes off,send one or two to sage,then maybe you'll be hired on and be able to fish more(like-most of the time),;) ,,,or,,just go for it and have fun with it,if Sage comes after you,i'd just laugh since;all you're trying to do is spool up a line and fish with your own(ed) equipment,not market aftermarket spools in direct competition to them,,(correct?),,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Wow Hap, that sounds like the long way around the block... My approach would be if the reel doesn't work, move on to one that does. Personal experience here from when I worked for a company that was pursuing developing both a high end fly and baitcasting reel. Even with your good contacts, every cut is going to cost "X" amount of $, and it will surprise you how many cuts go into a spool. Especially considering you will be creating one off pieces where even the slightest miscalculation on your measures will produce an expensive paperweight.

Not wanting to be stick in the mud, but it seems like more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments hammer & philster.

I'll likely give sage a call directly to hear their inputs/was discussing a different item with them the other week.

Philster:

.. if the reel doesn't work, move on to one that does...

Not always my style:) , enjoyable to check out the envelope. I'm a big fan of the D series reels/got a fair share and like the 3500 external size/lightweight etc (ie. would result in the Abel super/standard spool interchange concept). Many others just don't have the same combo of attributes and ability to buy at a deal on occasion to save major cost vs. new(ie. Abel's just don't come available discounted near as often etc/and virtually zero on Abel spools ).

...Even with your good contacts, every cut is going to cost "X" amount of $, and it will surprise you how many cuts go into a spool.

That's machinists concern, they'll quote long before any cuts made and stand by it. They win some and loose some/same as any other good business and after initial run adjustments in pricing are made if required. Quote itself could end project their/will see:)

...Especially considering you will be creating one off pieces where even the slightest miscalculation on your measures will produce an expensive paperweight.

If design/machining request structured appropriately I'm only out materials which is ~$10/spool. I enjoy contract challenges as well:) Besides, my initial assessment on this does not indicate any level of detail to be daunting.

..seems like more trouble than it's worth.

May very well turn out that way, only time will tell:) Inputs appreciated.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My honest opinion is that if there were a big enough market for this, Sage would do it on their own. Whoever is building the reel for them, could do the math and the CNC program in an afternoon very easily, and at very little cost.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Hey Happy Gilmore

You seem to have a handle on things, be more aware of the ins and outs than just about anyone I've spoken to who has had this, or a similar idea. I have a 3400D, and do like it as well, so I know the "If only they would..." arguments :D

Like I said, I didn't want to rain on your parade, and I'm glad you have the knowledge going in to avoid the pitfalls. Believe me, I know all about "Quote itself could end project":Eyecrazy: I also know about "Shimano found out we were in talks with the factory that makes the Curado could end the project immediately" too :chuckle:

Best of luck, and if it works, when you design your own reel from the ground up, let us know! I'll definitely take a look at it!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Machine shop got a couple D series from me yesterday to look at logistics on some custom spools :) Will see what transpires. Philster, when you mentioned your 3400D got me thinking that reels the first D series that really grew on me.....great size in the hand and spools for it could be done/will see....would only want to do one type first if at all and would likely pick 3500D for increased drag power and greater options for lines/weights etc...

Did get to thinking spool could be made slightly heavier by less lightenging holes or other mods IF it was certain one wanted a heftier reel (ie. for a 10/11 etc...). Or just leave light design and lead tape or lead core at base of spool.

Anyone know what present spools for like reels are typically made of? ie. 6061 or 7000 series? I know some are 6061 but not sure if top dogs are using same or 7000 series. The 7000 is tougher/more rigid and gummier (slower) to machine, but it does finish with less porosity allowing a saltwater anodizing finish to come out glossier/shinier than a typically machined 6061 product. (ie. I'm not going to pay to have these polished).

Also doing some dimensional checks/appears Sage 'may' use a snug fit on rear drag cone tapered seat for excellent bearing/rigidity improvement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What happened?

Hey Gilmore,

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I have some of the 3xxxD reels and was interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts