Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am pretty new to fly tying and I've tyed up a few fish taco variations recently and I am having trouble getting some "shoulders" on the fly. What are some techniques you use to aid in the profile of the fly with ostrich? propping with arctic fox or similar? tying reverse? dubbing loop?

Thanks.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Propping of softer flowing long barbed materials including ostrich:

Propping materials & methods include:

bead
'turbo' disc or similar
conehead
dubbing ball
cropped deer hair
cock hackle
dubbed & spun hair (eg fox tail)
tight-turn wrapped schlappen or other hackle feather

or combination of above ;)

Mike

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I use flared and clipped wool. Cheap, easy to work with, sinks well, comes in lots of colors.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
You're in Canada so it's legal to acquire polar bear. Great stuff. Use the underfur and the odd guard hair in a dubbing ball.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
spun fur props seem to be the most awesome. on here are some amazing SBS by davidstrout. I like a stiff body hackle and a spun fox prop if my goal is to prop the materials out. also, mixing in Amherst with your ostrich should help. the amherst is more stiff, and marries a bit to other materials which will help them prop out too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas, all very helpful information. I was hoping to find a universal method for bulking it up on my flies without having to purchase polar bear or arctic fox in a variety of colours but it seems like a very effective method. I've been using schlappen to palmer my hackle too which may me a bit too webby and soft, would a neck hackle or something else be a better alternative?

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Thanks fellas, all very helpful information. I was hoping to find a universal method for bulking it up on my flies without having to purchase polar bear or arctic fox in a variety of colours but it seems like a very effective method. I've been using schlappen to palmer my hackle too which may me a bit too webby and soft, would a neck hackle or something else be a better alternative?
Looks like twisted synthetic dubbing body on the fish taco...

Seal dubbing in a loop, palmered in the same way followed by a good teasing with a pick will give plenty of body and it is not nearly as bulky as other hair like fox. Still - ostrich as a collar will collapse under tension unless it is done like the Intruder using closely cropped deerhair and/or any of the various stiff tail feathers - like the Lady Am. mentioned.

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
without having to purchase polar bear or arctic fox in a variety of colours

Do what I do... Buy an entire fox tail for about ten bucks, cut into sections and dye yourself... Nothing to it. You might struggle getting the vivid colors but with practice and experience you'll get it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts