Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few of the techniques I use to prop materials. I have used marabou for the main material only as an example. These propping techniques can be used for any long natural or synthetic material. In the past I have used reversed cones and large beads, I have even reversed natural materials in the search for the best prop. None proved to be more effective and some proved to be less effective. To this day I have caught more steelhead on the old school marabou flies (like found in Dec’s book) than I have with the fancy propped ones. But I will say as my fly tying evolves I find confidence in techniques that bring a certain feel to my flies. Hope this helps and thanks for looking.

Propped Marabou

Dubbing Ball

I use a dubbing loop to load the dubbing on the thread.

Once the dubbing loop is loaded wrap the dubbing into a ball. Move the wraps in a crisscross to build up the ball. Relieve some of the fibers with Velcro.

Secure in two marabou plumes, I prefer to tie them in tips firsts.

Wrap the marabou as a collar. Two turns at the most, remember, less is best.

Add a collar of schlappen and whip finish.

Chenille Ball

Secure in a length of chenille and wrap into a ball. Pretty simple stuff here.

Make sure you compress the marabou firmly against the ball. By pinching just behind the ball with your left hand and using you thumbnail and the tip of you forefinger push reward as hard as you can. This will force the warps of marabou right up against the ball. I do this with all the different materials I use.

Fox Tail Prop

Spin dub a loop of artic fox tail.

Wrap as a collar, working to get the hairs standing upright.

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I use white because it really makes the bright colored marabou pop

The Deer Hair Prop

Spin a collar of deer hair.

Spin dub a loop of fox fur, the real soft stuff and wrap as a collar. The fox will act as a web over the deer.

After wrapping the marabou compress all three materials together.

Out of all the props, the Deer Hair Prop performs the best. The key in propping materials is to minimize, minimize, minimize. Sink rate and casting depend on it. The first marabou flies I ever tied were so overdressed they floated. Keeping it simple is what its all about.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Thank You sir

You make it way too easy for us beginners

Wait no tv shows on fly tying on WFN.. Marty you did say you were set to retire correct....

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Though I am by no means a credentialed historian of the craft, I believe the late Boston cabbie and legendary tier Jack Gartside was among the first to use a wrapped marabou collar on a fly, the Gartside Soft Hackle Streamer. He always tied the marabou in by the butt to give it more lift / body.

This one from his web site is tied on a 1/0 saltwater hook. And this is Jack working the striper flats with his custom raft. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks, I just tied some marabou Popsicle steelhead flies and forgot to tie in the prop on them, looks like I will have to perform some post surgery on them.
DS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Sbs

Marty,
A fine post! and well photographed.

Aldo,
I think you're friend on the flats has the ticket! Bonefish would just think it's another giraffe on the flats and never see the fisherman! Stealth brother!
L

·
Undertaker
1,325 Posts
the giraffe is stealing the show

Marty, I love your presentation on various ways of keeping our marabou from clinging to our hooks - I especially liked the deer hair and fox approach. But the photo of the dude fishing from an inflatable giraffe is freaking hysterical. Yes indeed, I'd bet those fish were stunned to be hooked by a freaking giraffe. Thanks for posting the pic Aldo.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Great job, Marty! Very nice pictures and SBS of the different methods. As many on this board would say, this is what makes this site so different from others - quality posts by those who have 'been there and done that'. Looking forward to the year ahead.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Lotta great complements and more from me as well. Your sbs's are phenomenal. The photography and dialog are both excellent. Thanks for sharing this with us fellow tyers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts