Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lo-o-o-ng cast wanted.
As a totaly young spey caster I still struggle with a distance. First it seemed much better to anchor fly even behind me. But this affects much longer upper leg which(to my mind)is not able for conducting energy.
So, where should be anchor for extremly long cast?
Respect to all who smiles of question and thanks to all for help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I like my anchors one rod lengh away from me and slightly in front of me, but I dont mind if the anchor is even closer to me. If the anchor lands to far away i will use a dump cast (poke) to get it were it needs to be.

cb

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Anchor must be on the same side as the d-loop and downwind for safety of course, and placed forward of the caster in almost all cases. The best advice for spacing as Etacata said, is a rod length out and to the side for all intents and purposes. One could leave it at that...

but since this is the Speypages :D

An exception is that while switch casting for practice and distance it's not uncommon for the exaggerated d-loop to draw the anchor backward further than a fishing cast would.

There is a lot more than meets the eye here because line taper, length, casting style, and rod characteristics all affect the way the loop generates power (what I loosely term as "compression") and subsequently release off the water but in simplest terms the best place to put the anchor is at the spot where it (a) maximizes the compression of the power stroke coming forward and then (b) minimizes drag after the rod recoils and the line enters flight.

If you change the line design, the anchor placement characteristics will change - for instance a Skagit line verses Simon's new Grandspey. The way you cast, even the cast you choose will make a difference. For instance the Snake Roll and the Double Spey have very very different anchoring styles albeit they are used in exactly the same fishing situation - etc.

For most rod/line/cast configurations it's about a rod length out and to the side, on the same side as the d-loop and downwind. I'll bet that if you interviewed Scott MacKenzie he would confirm the importance of the anchor, but he would cite it as just one element of many that create great distance.

Good luck on your journey.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Juro

Thanks!
"...if you interviewed Scott MacKenzie he would confirm the importance of the anchor, but he would cite it as just one element of many that create great distance."
I gues it is so. But it gives no judge to blame my mistakes to clear my way on this journey.
What makes me to discover right place for the anchor? The rules of Spey-o Rama... It was mentioned-the anchor in front of the caster. So I thought it's too easy to reach a distance with anchor by side or even behind a competitioner. 'Couse for me it's the only, and I'm afraid wrong, way to reach 75' of mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts