Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a Ross Reach 11'3", six weight switch rod.

I have never cast spey or switch rods and want to learn. Most of my fishing will be for large trout in Montana.

What line would you recommend for this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Contact Steve Godshall and have him custom build you one.

I kid you not; his lines are 'one off's' for the rod, the caster, etc. You will be able to tell the difference from the first cast. Nothing against factory lines, but 'One size does not fit all.'

fae

·
Registered
12 Posts
By far the best line for chuking streamers for trout on a switch rod is a rio switch chuker or a skagit maxshort i use both very large streamers for bulls with no problems what so ever

·
slipped away to grey...
713 Posts
The 360 grain SA Adapt Switch is money on that rod, have used that exact combination...

Those Ross two handers are really quite nice!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Thumbs up Rick.

Great info. These 'short' speys are a treat to fish, and will handle quite a large fish. My lightest is a 10'2" 3wt (ECHO) and a 'trout treat.' :smokin: Short but reaching (reel to fly) at 50 to 60 feet just takes a flick of the wrist and Game On. Or so you hope. :roll:

fae

·
Registered
301 Posts
David1123

Just see Steve Godshall. His line are the best by far. He will guide you in the right direction, you'll be glad you did. I use one of his lines called a Scandi Aggressive Diver for wind. This line out performs anything out that's out there.
You can get it in an integrated line, or just the head. I use the head only with Miracle Braid, 90 ft. spey casts are quite common.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Lots to think about!!

I cannot find any reference on the internet to SA Adapt Switch lines. Can any of you point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Rio AFS in the appropriate size or the new scandi. Rio short Versitip is brilliant. Airflo Skagit switch if you want to throw bigger flies and tips. I would be happy to use all these lines and have done for a few years now. Get the size right and the rest is easy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts