Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*** SOLD ***​

Hello,

I have a vintage Farlow's double-handed rod made of Greenheart for sale. This is a 14'0", 3-piece, 2-tip rod that likely dates from 1905. It's weighs about 25 ounces. Markings on the brass band at the butt of the rod read C. Farlow & Co. Ltd. / Makers / 191 Strand London. In addition, the underside of flap on the rod bag is marked 1905. After doing a bit of research on Farlow’s markings and given what is seen on the rod and bag, I think dating the rod to 1905 is accurate.

The rod looks to be entirely original. I've looked length of all four pieces and found no damage to the wood. There are scattered nicks in the finish but nothing I'd call significant. All sections appear to be their original full length. The hardware looks undamaged although someone rubbed some of the finish off of the brass piece at the butt. The rubber butt piece is dried and cracked. The ferrules fit seems fine but they'll need some cleaning to fully seat. The butt section looks straight but the mid and both tips have slight sets, likely from being in a somewhat poorly fitting bag for too many years.

It is missing one of the two ferrule plugs - that remaining plug could easily be used as a model to make the missing one. The grip is soiled. There's some missing stitching at the bottom of the bag that will need replacing although I wouldn't suggest using the bag for storage.

I think this rod could be restored and fished.

I'm asking $xxx for the rod plus $xx postage to the lower 48. PayPal only please and I'll pay their fees.

PM if interested.

Richard

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I'm in! Something very similar was my first 2hander.

Even my dog says YES-YES-YES.

Old man, old rods, rig, hang on the wall fishing rods. Stand there, look, wonder what water it's fished, etc.

PM me on exchange of funds. With PP you need to send me an 'invoice,' I plug in my card number and funds electronicly exchanged with a push of a 'enter' key.

Fred

[email protected]

541 944 0404

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Looking foreward to 'history' on my door step.

The rod is now sold - thanks fred!!!
Repeating myself, but this was the kind of rod that started me off some 60+ years ago. An old friend, meeting a new friend. Both of us 'battered about the edges' but, rain or shine, the first that came out of the Jeep (or the old Buick Station Waggon).

Well, too much rain and Dog-Dog(s) and I just sit in the car, I'd sip my coffee and we'd share a couple of donuts. A fur face on each side of my head ....... 'Hand it over and no one gets hurt here.'

fae

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Fred - you're killing me. Those dogs sharing donuts with you, LOL.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
All gone now. Lots of pictures.

Fred - you're killing me. Those dogs sharing donuts with you, LOL.
Queen sized bed, they had 'their place.' I got what was left, including the Motor Home. 'Cat-Cat' slept where she wanted; didn't like being hunted down and tossed in the door. But she was 10+ years old so got lots of slack from the dogs.

HISSSSSSSSSS, POINTY NAILS OUT!.

"Saki" would sleep on the MH dash board by a heater vent in the Winter. Summer, a shaft of sun coming through the windshild. Other option was she was flaked out on a (no kidding) 'feather bed.' One eye open/close/open ... 'What do you mean by MOVE OVER?' :saeek:

If you want a cat, get a Simeeesie ... extrodinary balls of fluff. You will no longer run your house ... he/she will. Especially if a 'she.' A 'Woooman' thing?

Today is Mz Turkey, a 100# 'Adopt a dog.' A snuggly bed hog, woke up this morning and fuzzy head was sharing my billow. Cuddle, fluff ears, etc,Works for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts