Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way of practicing your spey casting strokes when you are not on the river? With single hand casting I have practiced using yarn on my rod tip.

Can you practice on a lake or a field?

David

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,550 Posts
David,

Do a search on "grass leaders" and you should find some interesting reading. They work and are better than not casting but they are not the equal of casting on water. And not close to casting on moving water.

sinktip

·
Registered
141 Posts
a long skinny dock is nice for practicing on a pond/lake. WAY different than on moving water i agree, and the other drawback is the fact that your alot higher than when wading. it's helped me with left hand up casting, but i find it quite annoying with no current.

·
Registered
159 Posts
hit the lake

Casting on Lakes works very well. We are spoiled with lots of places to go in Victoria. Thetis and Elk are a couple of great places as they have nice beaches. The time I invested at the lake has drastically improved my casting.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When there's

only cruel winter with no ability to visit river/lake/pond and grass field in my motherland, I recognised rather useful training. With a heavy, smth about 6 pounds, metal tube, weight to its upper end I learn hands motions. It gave to my hands muscles memory. Pefect thing to train left hand. After that it was just an entertainment to "work" with a doublehander.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
Grass Leaders...

For those that are not inclined to build their own the Red Shed has 12' grass leaders available for $10.00 each.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.