Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a hold of a demo of this rod so I could take one up to the river for the next few weeks.

Anyways...was curious if anyone has had a chance to throw this rod??

For casting overhand, a #9 Saltwater Taper loads this rod perfect...the whole flyline and a good amount of backing flys off this rod.

Took it up to the river under the impression any #8 and heavier Spey lines would overload the rod...so in turn I ran a #8 Steelhead Taper off the rod...way too light!

Got home...strung up a 8/9/10 WC for some lawn casting...a little heavy but much much better.

Tomorrow, I am going to throw a 8/9TT on it and see how it does...

Anyone have any line recommendations for this rod??

·
Registered
200 Posts
Spey or Overhead

Just curious which you're asking about. Is it setup with a fighting butt big enough to speycast twohanded?

DS

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brian-
The handle is designed specifically as a Spey rod like handle...with your typical extended 'fighting butt.' Plus the top hand is the shape and style that is on Powell's 14' #9 Tiboron.

So the answer is yes...I am looking to Spey cast. From my understanding the protype's of the rod were much faster and lacked a progressive action...they slowed them down a touch and now they are a wonderful short and super light Spey casting tool.

·
Registered
200 Posts
OK then . . .

First, a Steelhead Taper is NOT a Spey Line! :D

Second, i'd suggest trying either a 6-7-8 WindCutter on the rod. 11' isn't a lot of length, so you probably don't want to go to one of the longer belly lines.

Don't know what the lightest Delta Spey is, but you might check those as well.

Remind me next time we're out fishing and you can try my 6-7-8 WC on that rod - it's just a bit light but works very well on my T&T 12' 8wt.

And BTW - I can only imagine the vile things you've probably been throwing with that rod! :hehe:

adidas,

DS

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a chance to play around with the rod for a while today and was pleasently surpised.

Obviously the 8/9TT was a little much for the rod and working with that much belly (70') can be difficult with a 11' rod but I managed...does that mean I am becoming a better caster??? :confused: :hehe:

Anyways...the first run I was fishing, the first 40-50' would come easily and would get a nice turnover everytime with NO EFFORT. As I was dinking around with rollcasts...I noticed that when I accelerated hard through the forward stroke and STOPPED at the right angle...I could rollcast 70' with wonderful turnover.

So I adapted that into my cast...Snap-T. When the other faults in my Speycasting did not appear and I accelerated hard to a complete stop and held it there....I could hit 65' (have the line marked at 70') with wonderful turnover.

I believe the rod was getting slugged at the distance and it was nearly impossible to shoot anyline...

On another note...I got into a wonderful groove and was hitting 65' cast after cast after. This rod is soo incredibly light and sure was pleasure to work through a run with a floating line in such a manner.

Can not wait to try a 6/7 MidSpey or 7/8 Delta or the likes. :)

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Ryan -

How about a 7/8 Midspey? I am assuming that the rod would have the power based on single hand Tiborons I've thrown recently.

In any case, curious to hear your reports...

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Juro-
The 8/9 TT is equivalent in grains to the 7/8 MidSpey IMHO and so if the 8/9 TT was a little heavy I am assuming the 7/8 MidSpey will be as well.

Can not wait for the 7/8 Long Delta to show up...depending upon with what happens with that line on that rod I will either love it and stick with it, try a 6/7 MidSpey or drop in belly length eventhough my prelinary tests with the rod, I had no problem handling 70' belly eventhough it is only a 11' rod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts