Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my hands on one of these on eBay a while ago,
but havent really gotten the performance I expected using my Windcutter line. Do any of you have experience with this rod, and what setup worked for you ?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Howdy Svend,

Which WindCutter are you using? Also are you speycasting or overhead? Take care, MJC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im doing regular spey casting (or trying to at least) with this rod, and am using the 8/9/10 windcutter. I've considered trying a weight heigher.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Peter,

yes and thanks for your reply on ROFF. I actually
mailed Powell and they recommended a Rio line which is no longer being made. I figured Id take the chance and see if anyone here had tried the rod. I also exchanged a few emails with with Simon Gainsworth from Rio. He had a few comments but had only cast the rod for a few minutes at a show last year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The answer I got from Powell was to try the Rio Accelerator which I understand was replaced by the Grandspeysome time ago.

Ive had this forum bookmarked for quite a while, but have only been chekking it on an irregular basis. I did however pick up a few details from some of the videos posted here, e.g. the snake roll.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
find someone in your area with a few lines you can try

And the more you can try, the better. Also, because the technique varies a little from the short belly to the long belly lines, it helps to have some tutoring on each. Where in Ca. are you? If you are up north, bay area, try and make it to the Speyorama at Golden Gate Park. Check the board for details on that. If you are in So. Ca. Try and get over to the Long Beach Casting Club at Recreation Park in Long Beach on a Tuesday or Thursday night. Ask for Kim Dunbar or Earl Bridges.

There is nothing wrong with that rod, You just need to find the right line to load it. The fact that The Powell people recommended the accelerator kind of indicates that they had long belly lines in mind when they designed the rod. That does not mean that the shorter Windcutter type lines will not work. It just means step up one or two line sizes and use a different technique. (stroke)

Welcome to the club. Now go find some people with some lines.

JD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Svend,

I have been fishing this rod for the past 4 months or so and I live this rod a lot. I fish a 8\9 Short Delta and it rocks. I would say that a 9\10 long delta would be too much for this rod and maybe the accelorator would be too much. I think this rod is great with a little shorter lines. Maybe a midspey but I have to say the Airflo 8\9 is a cannon on that rod. It is a little on the softer side and that is why I like the shorter (mid 50' belly's) lines. But I will tell you that with this set up I can get to 80 feet without much effort at all.

Great Rod.

JJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JD,

Im in the bay area, but mostly go to the ponds down here in San Jose. Ive made it up to the city at times and there are a lot more two handed casters up there.

Are you referring to the events in February ? Someone called me the other day mentioning that the SF club was doing 3 weekends of Spey casting seminars (Ill get more info at our next meeting in SJO) and I think it is done by some guy from Russia.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts