Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) the 7 weight tiburon 2 spey rod is only 11 feet, isnt this preety short for spey rod? Even 6 weight spey rods are usually a foot and a half bigger.
2) How does the 7 and the 9 powell spey rods cast?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Bob Meiser

has a series of switch rods that are 10' 6" in length and loved by many. I have one of his 11' 7" "trout & light steelhead" rods that I love. So, a lot depends on how you will use it. I use my 11' 7" in a float tube and anything longer would be unmanagable.

If you are interested in the rods, the real question is how you want to use it. If you are looking at long line work, they are too short, but for some uses they could be ideal.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Steve...

How does the 7 and the 9 powell spey rods cast?
Aren't you located very close to Powell rods? Why don't you visit Powell and demo cast the rods you asked about and then you can tell the rest of us how they cast. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think that "Powell" has moved to Vacaville. I think that they have a very liberal return policy, where you can buy one and return it if you don't like how it casts. Let us know

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
powell

MJC said:
Aren't you located very close to Powell rods? Why don't you visit Powell and demo cast the rods you asked about and then you can tell the rest of us how they cast. Take care, MJC

Nope, I am in Chico and they are in the bay area. I think the north bay.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
T&T has both a 10' for 6 and an 11' for 7. Then there are the Meiser rods already mentioned. All are top notch Spey rods. For that matter, in a pinch a 9 1/2' Sage SP for 8 makes a servicable spey rod if you don't mind the real short bottom handle. :devil:

I have never cast the 7 weight Powell but have fished both the 14' for 9 and the 15' for 9. Both were cast using a type VI Rio 15' tip looped to a cutback 8/9 Delta. My notes were: very lite in the hand, interesting ergonomic corkwork but just a bit slow for my liking.

Asking how something casts is pretty open ended. I suggest you figure out what style you are comfortable with and what type lines you like and then once you lay out those variables, you are likely to get better feedback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts