Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All- I`am planning a 3 day trip to Portland/Sandy/Troutdale area,any local knowledge on Motels that are clean/reasonable? I googled a few and what they show is not so good.Probably on the wrong side of Portland.Any help would be great-I plan on fishing the sandy if possible and close is always good
Thanks
Gene

·
Registered
757 Posts
I camped at Oxbow Park last weekend. Flush toilets and hot showers on one end of the campground. It is very beautiful there. Weather was fantastic, but a little too clear and sunny for good fishing, I think. At least I didn't get anything, but I did see a few others caught by bait fishermen and boaters, so they were there.

Mark

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
What the two fellow above have said.

Hotel: Nailed it. Camping: You couldn't find a better place.

BUT! With Oxbow check what time they close/lock the gate (was in the past). Past that, short of emergency, you have one hell of a long walk to the actual campground area. And I do mean one hell of a long walk.

Different place:

Only 'better' place to camp is Susan Creek Campground on the North Umpqua (BLM), staff come around several times per day, the place is just short of 'antiseptic' when it comes to clean and tiddie.

fae

·
JD
3,614 Posts
Motels

I've stayed at the Best Western in Sandy, as well as both the BW & Comfort Inn's in Gresham. I prefer to stay in Gresham as there are more places to eat & the drive to Oxbow park is easier. Troutdale is very close to both places in Gresham. There are also plenty of access spots on the lower section of the river, which you can observe on the drive up to Oxbow Park. The drive from Sandy to Oxbow runs along the ridge, hiding whatever access points there may be above Oxbow. Tad's Chicken & Dumplings, overlooking the river is awesome! http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Restaurants&find_loc=O+Ahu%2C+HI&ns=1#find_loc=Troutdale,+OR

·
Spey Fool
92 Posts
Sandy tips

What JD says regarding hotels, access and food Makes a lot of sense other than the bit about Tads. The view from Tads is way better than the food - my opinion is biased though - I live on the opposite bank from Tads so don't have to eat there. Troutdale does boast a cocktail bar, Troutini, these days if you're feeling the need for cocktails :)

The lower section of fine river between I5 and Dabney gets hit pretty hard by the gear guys but there are some nice spots.

Cheers
Tim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gene,

I fished the Sandy with a mate in January. We were seeking something close to
the Welches Fly Shop (where we hired a great guide, Hawkeye) and sought lodgings
close to the shop. About a mile away are Cabins at Creekside. They're very nice,
small kitchenette set up, and perhaps 15-20 from the oxbow. A double with kitchenette
was in the 120 range as I recall. It's 1/2 mile from grocery, and 1mi from the fly shop
and restaurants. Contact info:

Margaret Thurman
The Cabins Creekside at Welches
Office 24525 E Welches RD
Cabins 25086 E Welches RD
PO Box 65 Welches, OR 97067
Ph. (503) 622-4275 Fx. (503) 622-3160
www.mthoodcabins.com

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Further south .... the Rogue, as is the Chetco, river's are darned near dry.

Been here a lot of years, but these are a 'Say What?' End of September fishing conditions, even the afternoon weather is pretty darned close.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv/?site_no=14335072&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

The 'flat line' is the minimum legal out flow from Wm. Jess Dam. The little triangles are the average flows for the past 70 some years.

Chetco, in SW Oregon, is almost dry. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv?site_no=14400000 Find a deep hole in the river, that's where all the fish will be. Big river/small river ... all the same.

Only one really good rain in months. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts