Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, SO I can escape San Diego for a few days 2nd week in March for steelhead, and (trout?)
the great guys at The Gorge fly shop suggested a few rivers,even though it low and clear now.If I started out staying a nite or so in Portland,and there are a number of rivers semi close, even into Washington.Is the coast better to go to at this time,or? washington. any suggestions would be great! ( not looking for any secret spots, on a certain river) just basic info from people in the KNOW.
Any adventure would be good,thanks
gene

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
I'd spend the entire time on the Sandy if it were me. I assume flying into Portland? hit the Sandy up higher by Welches one day and down lower at oxbow one day. there's literally an entire day's wade fishing at oxbow park. PM me for more details.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
+1 and another.

I'd spend the entire time on the Sandy if it were me. I assume flying into Portland? hit the Sandy up higher by Welches one day and down lower at oxbow one day. there's literally an entire day's wade fishing at oxbow park. PM me for more details.
Further up stream (Columbia River) the Deschutes. As to what's going on water flow wise: Pick the river and click on the link, these are updated every 15 to 30 minutes so you are looking at 'real time.' http://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/rt

As to what's going on your 'Go to Guys' are flyfishusa in Welches, Or. Also a strong supporter of this web board.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gene: I am not local, but like you travel to the Portland area. I can highly recommend the guys at Welches for info but even more for a guided float trip (if budget allows the latter--it's 425 as I recall and is a super way to get ferried to great water by someone who really knows what's what).

As it happens I was just researching a trip to the OP for the third week of march, as this is strong season for coastal rivers. Guides are heavily booked but you can still find weekdays open. Rates are $400-450.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Portland march 2nd week

HI All, thanks for the great info, I`ll check out the welchs shop for sure, and yes the sandy has always been on the bucket list, NOWS the time,
I`am assuming a 7wt 2 hander will be the norm, 6 wt sounds too lite,
again thanks
gene

1 - 6 of 6 Posts