Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

This week i decided it was time to get back into some classic. i have not tied a proper classic in a couple month now. i decided this year for my winter steelhead fishing i would do one day modern flies like intruders and other tubes, and one day swinging a dry line or really light tips and classics or single irons. i also decided the tying will be the same to make it equal one fly classic one modern.

For the tag I used fine gold oval, i did not have gold twist. id like the tail to be curving up more. the "Crow" in this fly is Red weaver. i tied one short good side facing down then the topping and 3 on top. the body are all doubled up. the first body section veiling are a little funky.. I am pretty happy with the jay throat. I really wished i had longer tippets (i need to order some when bank account can haha) i find the under wing a bit short. the main wing has goose instead of parrot and macaw. I used 4 different kori quills to try and get different markings and shades in the wing. the guinea i tided as sides and then brushed them in the wing. i used cotinga for this fly and there doubled up. i tied the bm roof slim and on top of wing full length. im not a fan of the topping id like a more compress one to sit on top of wing and not cascade over the wing end. the head is horrible i really need to work on this. Over all there rust in the fly for sure and much room for improvements, but im happy with it. i really like how the weaver looks. not sure how it looks or compares to crow fishing wise, but i hope the fish like this fly.

sorry for bad photo. still working out the lighting in new place

thanks for looking all comments and critique greatly apprenticed

hope all is well
Kevin

Attachments

·
Bob Mac Donald
202 Posts
Kevin;
I really like the look of this one, and you've made the bronze hook look really nice. I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised when you fish this one.

Bob

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Looks good Kevin.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
great look to this one Kevin, really has that vintage feel to it. Really liking the topping and horns there too.

any chance of a closer shot of the body work?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I REALLY like this one. Id be very happy to fish it!!!

I have the same thoughts about winter fishing. Sometimes fish modern stuff, sometimes fish classic stuff. Switching it up keeps me interested. I dont know the history but silk lines sink if ungreased, so no shame in putting a classic fly on a light tip or something IMO.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys

matt ill try n take better pict of body ill move wing out the way to show body and ill retake it tonight.

kova i agree with you on swinging this on a sink line/tip of somesort.

·
Undertaker
1,326 Posts
classic fly on a classic hook

I note that most folks tie their classics almost exclusively on blind eyed or looped up eyed japanned hooks. Your bronzed hook looks like an old Mustad sproat hook that gives the fly a more workman like appearance. I hope you hang a hog on that popham this winter - on a dry line of course.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
I REALLY like this one. Id be very happy to fish it!!!

I have the same thoughts about winter fishing. Sometimes fish modern stuff, sometimes fish classic stuff. Switching it up keeps me interested. I dont know the history but silk lines sink if ungreased, so no shame in putting a classic fly on a light tip or something IMO.
I'll swing classics on tips. Its a fun merging of modern and vintage. again, thanks Kevin, look forward to seeing the body up close.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Popham...

Beautiful tye here. Great dressing on the bronze hook.
Your own criticisms aside, it is a well balanced flee.
May we ask what hook it is? A old Mustad?
It'll sink like a stone probably any way you fish it.
I'd fish it fall,winter, or spring.
Nice job,

Tom

·
Registered
371 Posts
What a great antique look Kevin! I typically don't prefer "standard" hooks for these flies, [3399? 3906?] but yours changed my view on that. Good stuff bro, CJ

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
Great looking fly Kevin !! I would fish this fly until the feathers fall off :)
The first thing that grabs me is the contrast , the Kori knocks it out of the park :smokin:
I think I like the weaver in this pattern better than crow .
Nothing wrong with fishing this fly or any other classic on a full sunk line or tips . Like Matt said , such a cool blend of old school meets new school .... I've been doing it for years and enjoy the success .

Well done lad :)

Mike

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Beautiful. I've been fishing married wing flies on sink tips for winter steelhead for over 20 years. I'd fish this one with confidence. And if I lose one on a sunk branch, I have an excuse ('er reason) to tie some more of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts