Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have been how are beats assigned for the week?

I've noticed a lot of video clips with people fishing in boats. Yes, I realize the river is large and a lot of holding spots are mid-river...however, my buddies and I hate the idea of fishing out of a boat.

We're all active and fit and want to wade and step-down a run.

Insights appreciated. Percentage boat vs. shore fishing would be good to know. Too much boat fishing would eliminate this possibility.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is a good question and one that had major impact on my happiness there the one time I visited.

You can definitely, absolutely fish from shore in 90% of the scenarios I saw, and if you ask clearly the guides will put you there.

There are a few honey spots where they fish middle of the river ( a certain seam, a certain rock, etc.) and they like fishing those from the boat and frankly are unreachable from shore. The guides will anchor the boat and then let out rope a few feet at a time to "drop" down for 50-100 feet before they pull the rope back in and do it again. You and your partner cast off the boat on opposite sides so you can really cover the water.

The guides are "used" to boat fishing and will naturally go that way without guidance, so it took me a couple of days to realize that if I asked clearly I could fish solo on the bank all day. And once I did, I fished on the bank for 8-9 hours a day for the rest of the trip. The good guides (like Max the head guide) figured that out really quickly. There were 1-2 Russian guides with some English challenges where I had to be more forceful. But, the camp manager can deliver that message if you make it clear up front.

And, if you don't want to wade, you can really stay in the boat for 6 days if you prefer (the older gentleman I was paired with did this, I doubt his boots ever touched water).

If I ever go back I would definitely do more bank fishing. I went in week 2 of the season, so the water was high and that wasn't a barrier.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Home pool is a great place to fish! Never fished during the regular fishing times, unless someone is skunked and they need a fish. They will boat fish the outside for those people.

Wrx you also asked about beat assignment. The first night I was there, the camp manager went around with a tray of vodka shots. You picked a shot, and underneath it was a beat name and that's where it started. I have no idea how the rotation went from there, it felt like I jumped all over the river and there were more beats than there were days to fish.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's been a while since I fished the Ponoi, but the beats were assigned as described above, then rotated daily. The guides don't rotate beats, so you get a different guide each day who stays on his beat all week. Guide therefore tends to know his beat very well.

You can definitely fish from shore and guides will know where it's possible to wade fish effectively. The river is huge, so there is some water only reachable by boat, but plenty of wading water to keep you busy all day. On my last two trips I fished exclusively by wading.

Guides were reluctant to let you out of their sight for safety reasons, so if your partner wanted to fish a different pool from you, they were less eager to let you out of the boat. I solved that by taking a pair of walkie talkies and gave one to the guide in the boat and carried one myself, so I could call him if I needed help. Worked great, as guides were more comfortable being able to check in with me by walkie talkie.

The water is quite tea colored and bottom has big rocks so I would definitely take a wading stick. You can fish places that look dark and deep but are actually quite wadeable if you probe depth with a stick. No need to be a bold wader because there are tons of fish and they seem to be everywhere, with plenty of great lies within comfortable reach.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info. Thanks for all the insights guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts