Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing around with 10' XSuper Fast Sinkingpolyleaders in place of sinktips on my CND Custom 1307 as I love the 7/8 Long Delta on the rod but that line with that rod does not like tips.

When I pull the polyleaders off and fish a standard mono leader I do not feel I am getting the load out of the road that I want.

Anyways, I looked up the grains for various polyleaders on Rajeff's site and found that I am adding 90 or so grains when fishing the polyleader.

Floating polyleaders at anywhere from 20-55 grains depending upon which length you go with.

So has anyone played with various lengths of floating polyleaders to get the perfect amount of load they want with a certain rod??...just a question as this next week I am going to run a 15' floating polyleader on the aforementioned setup and think I maybe perfecting the grains I want for that specific rod (the XSuper Fast Sinking 10' is a tad too much...straight mono leader a tad too light).

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
Interesting topic Spark but what in God's name are you doing playing around with tips on your 1307 in August???????

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i use the 10ft floating poly leader in place of a standard tapered or hand tied leader butt section. to this i add 3ft of tippet. that has been my leader on the deshcutes the last few yrs. lasy yr i fished that leader on a long delta spey. thought it worked great!beau

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Spark that is the setup I was using this weekend on the Cow which resulted in 3 fish. Usually do not fish anything but a floater this late but the water was calling for a light tip.

I have the same situation with the CND 8/9 and the 7-8-9 wincutter. I love the line with tips but with the floating tip I do not get the laod I want. Messed around with a floating tip and that helped a bunch. Also been using the full range of polyleader tips with the wincutter and like them on that rod. However the turn over is kinda crap IMHO but I can deal with it as long as I am catching fish...

-sean

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Come on Duggan, you have to admit it is much better then big indicators and lead eyed flies!! :smokin:

But anyways, I fish tips earlier this summer and have played around with the sinking leaders when I felt the conditions dicated a sunk fly presentation.

Sean-
I am going to play around the 14' Intermediate poly leaders this upcoming week and if Rajeff recieves the 14' floaters I am going to give this a try as well.

Another plus of the floating polyleaders is that they turnover so well...I was fishing a 10'er with poppers this weekend and I thought (once I reduced the amount of tippet I was fishing) was getting a better turn over then I would of gotten out of a standard 15' mono leader.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
I do agree Spark that you have come far. But still a long way to go. Please tell me you weren't fishing an Egg Sucking Leech on that sinktip :hehe:

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sinktip said:
I do agree Spark that you have come far. But still a long way to go. Please tell me you weren't fishing an Egg Sucking Leech on that sinktip :hehe:
I learned a long time ago that ESL's should be left to those fishing for trout in the rivers of Alaska...I thought that was common knowledge! :confused: :hehe:

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Had not heard they were coming out with 14 footers. Let us know how they work.

Have also found the hover ones are good when using small plastic tubes that you want to keep from planing on the surface. They help keep em just under the surface.

-sean

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sean-
They've had them out for a while in all the various sink rates. I cant wait to give the 14'er a wirl once Rajeff gets them back in stock!

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
I have one of the 14' extra fast sink ones that Tim was passing out at Fall City. Have only used it once but it is quite nice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts